[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - T-34/76 Mod. 1940 ~ DML

T-34/76 Mod. 1940 ~ DML

Re: T-34/76 Mod. 1940 ~ DML

Postby Dan Reed » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 am

Nice!
thumb1
Dan
Dan Reed

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Okay the front plate has been shorn of its mud flaps and cemented to the main upper hull part.

Next the four ventilation parts at the back will be replaced with Aber photoetch.

here you can see the parts needed for making the upper and side rear engine ventilation grilles. Two parts for each one.

These need to be carefully rotated into the correct angle. There is a stencil included but it is pretty fragile. You need to just use it for a reference. It was kind of confusing which way to twist these so be very careful and sort that out before you move the metal cause you won't get more than two movements before the tiny fins will break off. I labeled them with a felt pen to be able to keep which part is which straight, down the line.

I used my bending tool to keep the part from getting all bent and distorted while twisting the fins.

using a scalpel to twist the fins.

the two parts slide into each other. This can be confusing so take it slow and don't commit the solder too quickly, just tack the parts in place in a couple of points in case you get it wrong. You can reactivate the bonds and separate them and try again that way. :Y)

The tiny attachment points call for some rods to be threaded through them, which I used some wire to simulate. There were a few "L" shaped anchor parts that go on the inside ends of these wires but I did not add them cause the would not be seen anyways the diminishing return of adding them as opposed to causing problems.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Test fit...

Next the two rotating louvers for the transmission opening.

The two louvers that go into this opening. The opening needed to be slightly tweaked with a file to allow them to fit properly.

there are two tiny pieces that need to be soldered to the large flats on either end , both sides.
There are also four flat pieces that need to be rolled up into a tube. That is were the end tabs sit and pivot. There are also two straps that envelope the tube hugging it to the plastic. I needed to cut tiny insets for the tube to sit in so the louver parts bisect the opening.

here is a video showing my process, mistakes and all.

this one shows how I shaped the tubes (#72) that fit over the ends
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:08 pm

It worked!

Next I made the distinctive transmission grille cover. I used a small separate Aber set for this.

embossing the rivets into the main part

hand bending the grille part

shaped and tacked together

the inside bits, hinges rolled on drill bits.

after adding the rest of the parts a comparison shot to the part from the kit.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:09 pm

next the fenders
the PE sheet from Aber.

one mud guard bent and formed with a generous amount of solder to act as a filler, which is carefully removed and sanded back.

the two mud guards front and back added to the ends of the long trough-like side fender.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dan Reed » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm

I don't want to look at my M1940 now...
Nice job on the PE.
Dan
Dan Reed

Postby Dario Risso » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:42 pm

I'll wait for the subtittles explaining:
1) HTH you make the hinges for the engine grill
2) What do you use to file the solder? Just the fiberglass pencil?
3) And what happened with the joint line on the mudguard? It just dissapear by sanding or filing?

:panzerman:

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Tony Lee Watts » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:25 am

Outstanding PE work I must say. thumb3

Tony lee
Shoot Low Boys
They're Ridin Ponies
Tony Lee Watts

Postby Tim Coulson » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:38 am