[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - T-34/85 Soviet Battle Tank ~ Italeri

T-34/85 Soviet Battle Tank ~ Italeri

Re: T-34/85 Soviet Battle Tank ~ Italeri

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon May 28, 2012 9:25 am

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Paul Truesdale » Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 am

Jamie,

The link you last posted above seems dead......? Nothing happened when I clicked on it.
Paul Truesdale

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon May 28, 2012 12:47 pm

still trying to iron out somethings
I seem to get better results rotating with the small scroll ball on my mouse.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon May 28, 2012 2:34 pm

here is another flash one- you can zoom in on this one to see the detail better.
Try full screen mode. (I still need to figure out how to embed this version of flash for now this will suffice)
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue May 29, 2012 1:52 am

So the next few post tonight will be a slight departure from the build strictly but it is related. I decided to make some new wheels for this tanks from Italeri as the wheels that come with it seem to be more common to post war vehicles?
I decided to try it out with the Dragon early wheels from their 112 model. This expanded to making a mold of everyone I have... ;woot:
here you can see the wheel halves snugly nested into some plasticine, trying to get the majority showing on the upper surface.

here you can see I am adding the catalyst to the body of the silicone mold making kit. The ratio is based on weight, 10:1 I use the syringe to help get the amount right slowly and carefully.

these are mixed together thoroughly

next, to ensure that the surface of the original gets a thorough and complete coat, without air bubbles, I brushed on the first layer with an old brush.

next you can see I have used an old air compressor as a improvised vibrating table to get any air bubbles to the surface.

here you can see the set of wheels that come with the Dragon T-34/85 mod 1944. they will get the same treatment to produce a mold.

brushing on a thin layer to ensure proper coverage.

another thing I do to ensure coverage is to move the RTV around after adding a slight amount, slowly letting it ooze over the originals. More RTV is added over time.

letting things settle for a few minutes

more RTV silicone is added while the mold vibrates.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue May 29, 2012 2:24 am

Here is the early tired road wheels mold filled to the brim, to ensure strength and coverage.

the later wheels on the vibrating tool.

so after a 24 hr. period the mold is ready to be opened up. The side that had the Plasticine is carefully removed, you don't want to dislodge the originals from the pink silicone, as the other half of the mold will be poured next after prepping the mold walls (Lego) and giving the surface a mold release, in this case a thin layer of Pam.

next the wheels from the Zvesda T-34 '42 kit

the first mold ready for the mold release.

Vaseline and Scotchguard are alternates to Pam.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue May 29, 2012 2:27 am

So..Success! after another night and day of setting and curing the mold is separated and the original removed. I then did a test pour with some two part resin, looks good!

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue May 29, 2012 2:28 am

more molds of other wheels. here the other side of the Zvesda wheels is prepped

The wheels from the AFV T-34/76 kit

The wheels from the Vietnam NVA T34-85 kit.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue May 29, 2012 5:02 pm

so a few more pics...

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Pierre Parroux » Thu May 31, 2012 4:15 am

i don't have an ipad nor apple, i have a stupid computer, and this works well. very good idea.
Last edited by Pierre Parroux on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre Parroux

PreviousNext

Return to Russian Medium Tanks