Renault UE Chenillette ~ Mirage Hobby

France was overrun by the Germans but it had a formidable tank force. In 1940 they had one of the largest tank forces in the world along with the Soviet, British and German forces. Like the British and the Soviets, the French believed in a strict division of labour between cavalry tanks and infantry tanks.

Renault UE Chenillette ~ Mirage Hobby

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 pm

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: Renault UE Chenillette ~ Mirage Hobby

Postby David Madsen » Thu May 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Good old Mirage, I've done 3 Renaults by Mirage. I was warned many times about how horrid they are. I really didn't have a problem with these as much as I was led on to believe. The tracks were probably the most struggle, with poor molding but I had plenty of spares having 3 kits. Don't expect great detail in the kit, the muffler guard will need to be thinned down and some of the chassis parts in the middle need to be trimmed down to fit right. Also the wheel assemblies are difficult, with no guide holes to fit them together.
David Madsen

Re: Renault UE Chenillette ~ Mirage Hobby

Postby Roy Schlicht » Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 am

Your right David, these kits have a bad rap for no apperent reason except that they are by Mirage. My only real beef with them are the tracks and sprockets but they also lack some rivit detail in obvious places. On the other hand they are fairly accurate dimentionally and they do a ton of versions (Tamiya does one). I may kit bash some of the more obscure Mirage versions with the Tamiya kit to get the best of both worlds (detail w/obscurity).

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Return to French Tanks of World War Two