[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - 1/35 Tamiya Panther G Commander Black Uniform Practice

1/35 Tamiya Panther G Commander Black Uniform Practice

1/35 Tamiya Panther G Commander Black Uniform Practice

Postby Tim Coulson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:41 pm

I will be using Andrea's Black Paint set to practice painting black Panzer uniforms. I haven't used Andrea paints before. The first thing I noticed is that they have a strong smell, which is unusual for an acrylic paint. The smell reminds me of a metal polish.

The set includes six paint pots that are similar to Vallejo in style. A base colour, 2 highlights and 3 shadow shades are included.

An instruction sheet shows how to apply and mix the different shades.

The practice figure is from Tamiya's Panther G kit and is based on a crew photographed in Normandy in an early G. For it's age it is not that bad and will do nicely for practice.

The tools I use for figure prep. Mini side cutters, scouring pad, file, knife, old toothbrush and not shown, sanding film and a pin.

The scouring pad is very useful for removing the mold seams as it conforms to the creases and folds of the uniform. If used too aggressively it will scratch the surface and soften detail, but if used carefully it does a great job of cleaning up those seams. It can also be used wet to minimise dust.
I use a toothbrush, used wet, for removing dust from uniform seams. I use a pin to scribe any lines that are affected by the mold seam.

This is a very useful reference book, that I highly recommend. The book covers most types of German Army Uniforms, throughout WW2, from private soldiers fatigue uniforms to Generals best uniforms.
The publishers also do a book on the Waffen SS and another book dedicated to Panzer uniforms, as well as books on Allied uniforms.

All of the uniforms are original and are worn by real people, photographed in a studio. The book goes into a lot of detail about the uniforms and gives the dates that certain areas of the uniforms changed. (eg. pocket shape, collar colour, number of buttons, all useful information for modelling a particular uniform.) For example the dark green collar, seen on the book cover, was changed on new manufactured tunics to the same field grey cloth as the rest of the uniform, in May 1940. However, some soldiers had the new tunic collar changed back to the dark green! The rest of uniform was unchanged at that date.

The book also shows the inside lining of hats and uniforms as well as personal equipment.

The only criticism is that the lighting changes in some photos so that the same piece of uniform looks a different colour.

I will try and update as often as I can.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Re: 1/35 Tamiya Panther G Commander Black Uniform Practice

Postby Dario Risso » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm always interested in figure painting, so...here I am, Coke in a hand and pop corn in the other hand :D
Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Let the sauce begin! Image
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Coulson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Here is the cleaned up and assembled figure. I have drilled a hole in the foot and glued in a piece of brass wire to assist when painting the figure.

The gaps where the arms join the body don't look as bad when viewed normally, but I will fill in the gaps with putty soon.

There is still a little excess plastic between the legs that needs to be removed.

Does anyone know what the oval shape on the back of the neck is?

Hopefully you still have some popcorn left Darío :)

I will try to prime the figure tomorrow.

Tim
Last edited by Tim Coulson on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Coulson

Postby Roy Schlicht » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:23 am

I have a set of Andrea's paints and they are very much like Vallejos. In fact they have been around much longer then Vallejos (as far as I know) and when I first saw Vallejos I thought they were an off shoot of Andeas (same type bottles and such). They brush on very nice but I haven't noticed any smell. I've had my set for over ten years and they are still very good as I just used some yesterday.

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Postby Tim Coulson » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks for the info Roy.

I used Vallejo Plastic Putty to fill in the gaps and then used a paper towel moistened with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner to remove the excess. This worked very well and only left the smoothed putty in the gaps. I haven't had much success with this putty in the past but I had read online about using alcohol to thin it. Hopefully it will look OK when primed.

Tim
Last edited by Tim Coulson on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Coulson

Postby Jamie Tainton » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:06 pm

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Coulson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:32 am

Tim Coulson

Postby Tim Coulson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:56 pm

I've primed the figure with Vallejo's Polyurethane Primer. I haven't used this before, but it airbrushed very nicely straight from the bottle.

There are a few dust spots and an area that I missed on the hat to clean up, then I will airbrush the base black colour.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Dario Risso » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:50 pm

I usually think the oval shape thing was a kind of pad for the neck, but the cover has more sense :oops:
Waiting for the flesh (color) :D
Darío
Dario Risso

Next

Return to Axis