[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Introduce myself + 88 mm Flak

Introduce myself + 88 mm Flak

A place to post research questions and post information about armour

Re: Introduce myself + 88 mm Flak

Postby Harrie Aerts » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Harrie Aerts

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:42 pm

English is weird! If there are any pictures that you want in a bigger size to see more detail let me know- I can email you them.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Harrie Aerts » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks a lot, but this is actually the biggest problem I have:

I want to build a Flak 18 on a Sonderanhänger 201 chassis. Most of the surviving guns are Flak 37's (and some modified variants) on a Sonderanhänger 202 chassis.
I don't know actually even one surviving Flak 18 in original state. There are a lot of original pictures of them, but they are mostly of a to bad quality so I can't use them.
Another problem is there are a lot of small differences between the models (I think there are also differences between the ones built by Krupp and the ones built by Rheinmetal). Another problem is when some tiny details are changed during restorations, like other bolts that are used and such things. All the bolts and screws I'm using are conform the Deutsche Industrie Norm, the German standard. I can just insert them from a list in my drawing program. But sometimes when during restorations bolts/screws are changed by other, things just don't seem to fit, so I can start looking for the right bolt again, but then again, these bolts used at the surviving 37's are sometimes completely different then the bolts used on the 18 variants.

You may say I'm making a huge problem of a very small thing, but that's me I think...

Actually I would like to make my model so perfect everything is moving like the original one, and not just something which looks a bit like a Flak gun. But the problem is all books that are written already, they just tell the same story over and over again, But not a single one I know has gone to the tiny details, and I like to do that. Maybe I will write a book about that gun as well, when I'm done.

Another problem is that I don't know how the gears are working within the cases were all the moving things are connected to. And I would think there must be somewhere someone who knows all this. Or there must be drawings of it somewhere (I have found some drawings, but they don't seem to be right).

Maybe I'm just asking to much, but even if this takes years, it's not completely impossible I think. And when I'm done, I'm sure I am a huge source of information for anyone who wants to build a Flak :)

It's not that I'm not glad with all the help I already got, that's for sure, and every tiny picture or drawing is still welcome!!

And if someone somewhere knows a museum or someone who owns an original Flak 18, please let me know, I'm sure I'm on a plane tomorrow then ;-)

Thanks a lot everybody, I'm really glad people are doing so much for me :razz:

Harrie
Harrie Aerts

Postby GMARTI » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:50 pm

From Waffen Revue 29

GMARTI

Postby Harrie Aerts » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:13 pm

That Waffenrevue I have as well, I only forgot to look at it :oops:

You can see clearly that the bolts of the seats should be close to each other (75 mm), so this is a restoration fault?:

Harrie
Harrie Aerts

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:46 pm

have you got this one?
Technical Manual German 88 mm Antiaircraft Gun Materiel - US War Department, 29 June 1943
http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/tme9369a ... 8mmgun.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Harrie Aerts » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Harrie Aerts

Postby Harrie Aerts » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:43 am

Hello everybody,

I found these two drawings of the gear systems. But they seem to be incorrect. First of all the clutch of the elevating mechanism: The clutch itself seems to be correct, but the lever isn't. It shouldn't be a straight one as you can see on the other picture below.

But the biggest question I have is how can you change the rotating speed with the two circular plates with slots milled out? And why are there four bevel gears in this system? The case of these gears is round, so I was thinking there are two epicyclic gears in it. But with this configuration (with bevel gears) it doesn't make sense. There are a lot of flak guns with an external lever to change the speed but this system is different. Is there anyone who has a picture of a flak during maintenance or restoration where you can see these gears? It would be so helpful! Even if someone knows if the rotating direction changes in high or low speed it would be very helpful already!

Thanks in advance.

Harrie

Edit: The picture in the middle seems not to work so here is an url:

Harrie Aerts

Postby Roy Schlicht » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:16 am

All this info is interesting and I wish I could help but alas, I cannot. But i will be watching.

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Previous

Return to Armour Depot