are chips a realistic technique

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Don't see very many "chips" on most pics of real deal that I see for example
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: are chips a realistic technique

Postby Dario Risso » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:23 pm

Interesting question; may be the (bad) quality of B&W pics doesn't allows us to note the chipping. Perhaps we must to study major quality pics, like those in LIFE magazine or pay atention to modern vehicles to have an idea of how the chipping looks.

DarĂ­o
Dario Risso

Re: are chips a realistic technique

Postby Roy Schlicht » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 pm

There are alot of modellers who really over do the paint chipping on their models because it's the "in" thing. There are a couple of reasons why things never got as bad as often potrayed on model kits. 1. The vehicle commander would never allow it. 2. The Platoon leader would never allow it. 3. The Company commander would never allow it. 4. You see where I'm going with this. Another reason is that tanks had a very short life span and if for some reason they did survive long enough then reason 1 - 3 should suffice. Tanks did get beat up and showing some chipping here and there is not unrealistic but here and there doesn't seem to be the current rule in models but the exception. I think that photographic evidence also suggest not so beat up paint jobs.

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Return to Armour Depot