[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - About Panzers and towing cables ...

About Panzers and towing cables ...

A place to post research questions and post information about armour

About Panzers and towing cables ...

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:49 am

Hi guys. This thread may have a follow up but I had to share these pics with you, courtesy of a Romsits Adam, via ML.
It is a most underrated fact that the German army had rather strict rules and thet they were to be obeyed.
So here's the rule I'm talking about : when going to combat zone, a Panzer with two towing cables has to tie one to the front of the tank and the second one to the rear of the tank.
When towing is needed one member from each tank grabs one cable from his tank (whether front or rear depending of the situation I guess) and ties it to the other tank. This allows maximum speed which under direct enemi fire has got to be one advantage.
Now we seldom see this on pîcs and this morning courtesy of Romsits Adam on Missing Links we have these four pics of Tigers that follow the rule.

This one has one cable tied to the right front hook :

while that one has one cable tied to the right rear hook, obviously both ends of the same cable are seen here :

This makes sense as the cables do have to be crossed when towing another tank. The cable goes from front right to rear left (or vice-versa) so both cables are connected to the right hook, none to the left.

The pics of "122" clearly show the end of the cable beeing loose unfortunately pics of "301" do not show the other end of the cable but according to the pics it is not tied either but loose.

How come modellers never apply this German army rule on their models ?
I do not know.

Now we may ask how come we seldom see pics showing this ?
a few explanations ... this rule was for combat zone and most of the pics we have were not shot under ennemi fire but before or after, many a so-called "shot during combat" pic beeing in fact a reconstitution after the battle for the benefit of the PK. You do not have to follow this rule when away from the combat zone do you ?
How come we sometimes see pics of Panzers with cables attached to both front hooks or both rear hooks ?
This I do not know but please refer to the aove explanation ... not a real "combat zone pic" probably.
Plus we have to admit it is possible that sometimes rules were not followed under certain circumstances ... go figure.

Anyway, any help with this topic is most welcome and please feel free to search in your picture collection for evidence of towing cables beeing tied to the hooks following the rule : one to the front one to the rear.
I'm afraid most of the times we see only one side of the tank, front OR rear so if cables are to be tied then there's only one ...

#^(
:panzer1:
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Re: About Panzers and towing cables ...

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Interesting topic thumb3
Sorry I haven't been able to contribute much lately- out of town fr a long weekend and really burnt from work. Maybe something this weekend.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Markus Lack » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:49 am

Thanks a lot Laurent,
I didn´t know about that order, but good to know.
Shows that you learn something new each day ;).
Thanks a lot for sharing your information!
Markus Lack

Postby Dario Risso » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Dude...I know you are a teacher, but...what do you teach? Panzerlogy? :D
OK, seriously: thanks, Laurent, I had not idea at all about that order :shock:
Where has you read about that order?
And why the cables are crossed?
I will take a look to my pictures, and...wait...I've see....Yes, here it is:
This post about Vehicle maintenance pictures may be useful

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=159802

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Dario ... not sure about the tiger pic ... unless we clearly see the front plate and only one cable connected to it which as said above is very rare !

I decided to start this thread after I saw a modeler building a top notch Pz IV but with one cable with both ends tied one to the front the other one to the rear which doesn't make any sense. He replied "these are just pins" which means he had no clue about what beeing a Panzerschütze under ennemy fire meant.
At the moment I can't recall where I saw this order described, working on it. Was it "Pantherfibel" ?
The cables have to be crossed because it allows a better control of the towed tank trajectory. A tank is not like a car and when the clentch is not on (and it is not when towed, is it ?) it is extremely difficult for the towed tank drive to control it. Thus the crossed cables. More "rigidity" (is it a word ?)

I'm a maths teacher ... LOL.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Tim Coulson » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:50 am

Tim Coulson

Postby Dario Risso » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:32 pm

I wonder about the "official" measures of those cables, e.g. diameter and length.
Any idea? I've always followed kit instructions about the length, but not idea if there were right.

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:20 am

Approaching the front line ...

About the cables length, there are official informations but they seem to be scattered and hard to find. I asked Hilary Doyle about that but the man's too buzy at the moment to make any research on this topic.
We will then trust the kit makers.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Return to Armour Depot