[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Paint chips on DAK vehicles

Paint chips on DAK vehicles

A place to post research questions and post information about armour

Paint chips on DAK vehicles

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:11 pm

I don't think it is always the case that DAK vehicles need to have that default over done chipping and top coat paint wear look that everyone thinks is so realistic.. Here is an example of a DAK vehicle that looks pretty solid in colour to me
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: Paint chips on DAK vehicles

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 pm

From what I observed it depends on one thing : was the tank grey in the first place and then converted to Tropen or was it painted "yellow" at the factory.
The ones you see with heavy chipping are the ones that arrived in Afrika painted grey and camo'ed by the units.
Or so it seems to me.
as in :

destroyed, not brand new but no chipping. This is factory camo'ed. Same thing happens with the grey coat that's never chipped even when the yellow over coat is almost gone.
To be compared with this one :

Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu May 06, 2010 11:10 am

Hi Laurent, perhaps you are correct but I think that from what I've read, many of the initial vehicles were actually given a coat of mud as their cammo so perhaps a look of wear and fading rather than chipping would be the result of that layer falling away. The second photograph, if you are implying that it is chipping, ?
- I think that may be more the paint job with a few "holidays" as we call missed areas here in Canada regarding missed spots on paint jobs. ;)
The first one looks pretty solid.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu May 06, 2010 10:59 pm

James I'm not always 100% at ease with English.
The second pic was there to illustrate a lousy paint job which of course may not be called "chipping".
We have some vehicles actually covered in mud or even a mix of sand and oil but it's not what I was talking about.
In fact I was thinking (but I ain't got time to scan them now) of the "paint sanded off" by (for example) sand storms look, as seen in Jentz's "tank combat in north africa" on page 106.
Do you see what I mean ?
To me this is the "official DAK style".

The pz IV pic you posted definitely has it ... lousy paint job but no actual "chipping".
But it is not to be seen on later tanks with factory made 7008/8000 came. Or at least not that I know of.

I tend to see this "chipping" stuff as another modeler's fashion, along with red oxyde road wheels and gun barrels.
LOL.
I received yesterday some pics of Pz III Ns seen in June 45 when surrendering so they are real veterans ... guess what ?
No chipping at all !
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu May 06, 2010 11:06 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu May 06, 2010 11:14 pm

yes, here's one :

Panzer Brigade Norwegen, June 45.
Look at the cupola hatch and other "sensible parts" ... I wouldn't say "as new" but ... almost. They look dusty but people have to admit they used good quality paint.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Allan Williams » Mon May 10, 2010 1:23 am

I think Laurent makes a very good point about whether a vehicle has been repainted or the colour is original. Below are Bovintgon's Mk IV and Tiger I before they were 'restored'. There is really very little 'chipping' on either of them, but there is a huge amount of stains and wear on both (particularly the M IV, I love this photo).
You rarely see 'weathering' for what it's supposed to be, environmental impact. So often you can see wear and exposed metal on a model where it has no rational reason to be. The underside of the mantlet just isn't going to see that much traffic!
Also consider that both of these vehicles have had countless people crawling all over them for 50 odd years. Both photos are from 'German Tanks of World War II in Color'.

Below is two photo from an original 2cm Flak 38 that has had fairly limited traffic since the war. The first photo is the top of the elevation housing which consists of steel and aluminium construction. This weapon was repainted before going to Africa as evidenced by the second picture. You can clearly see, that even in the high impact areas such as the hand wheel, the paint has flaked more than rubbed away.

It really just needs more consideration towards each individual aspect of a model, as to it's material, function, location etc. rather than making it look like the only runner the Germans had to set against the Russians at Kursk.

Allan
Allan Williams

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Tue May 11, 2010 8:37 am

Interesting pics !
Specially the Pz IV.
One can tell the Dunkelgrau under the yellow coat ... and of course one can tell how the guys would walk inside by stepping on the glacis.
See most of the modellers actually never climbed on top of a Panzer and of course you can't blame them but let me tell you you don't climb on top of a Panther that easily ... nor do you climb on top of a Pz IV.
Either you use the rear and the muffler to help or you use the glacis.
Not beeing as slim and fit as I once was i, for instance, I can only climb on top of a T II by using the rear but of course I am not a good example.
LOL.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Return to Armour Depot