[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Trumpeter T-34 1/16th scale

Trumpeter T-34 1/16th scale

The various types of Soviet armor used in WWII

Trumpeter T-34 1/16th scale

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Like I don't have enough kits going...
but I could not resist the new Trumpeter 1/16th scale T-34/76 1942.

the box top cracked open- (love that smell that vents out of a new kit)

some of the contents

Yes, it is a formidable kit!
I managed to get some time putting the early steps together today .. the ammo and started cleaning up the spring parts.

here is a pic I took to show someone the scale- this is a 1/72 scale Jagdpanzer next to the main engine block half part.

I secured some primo after-market ammo rounds from Hussar.
Decals and metal base plates included.

Well I have started to get somewhere on this but it is slow going for me on this one... many distractions lately.
The hull. I have painted it flat black first followed by a red primer colour, which I sprayed on the floor and sides (and underneath while I was at it.)
same with the interior side pieces.
The spring holders are painted FB.
and ammo
The springs are primed with a metal primer and then painted FB and red primer.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: Trumpeter T-34 1/16th scale

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Here I am airbrushing white on top of the dried liquid mask. Then after the Tamiya white had dried I used a Q-tip that has a bit of the liquid mask on it I remove the underlying liquid mask.
and here the results
and a closer look.

It's more predictable, most likely more stable,
(salt left on model may continue to absorb moisture),
and more controllable than salt technique.

Not long did I wait- maybe an hour after I sprayed the white. As for the Q-tip w/ more liquid mask- it dries as you rub it on the surface, any wet stuff that gets on the surface comes off very quickly as it all gets tacky as the Q-tip is moved around.

I've been lazy to post images- these are a couple off weeks old- I decided to redo the back wall in greyish green colour after seeing some reference- my interpretation. ;)
When I did this I discovered something that I'll pass on The things that glue in on the other side that hold the springs should be glued in and then these holes filled prior to painting. I don't feel like typing a lot now so I'll just give you the pix.
Stripped the white and red primer off with Oven cleaner
here you can see the holes that need to be filled
the end pieces here are what need to be glued in thoose holes- the pistons are metal coloured
springs rusted up
grey paint
test fit

some more pix..

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: Trumpeter T-34 1/16th scale

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I am sort of bogged down trying to finish these two 251/9's right now- with this T-34 I was actually looking at a thread at Armorama on it and saving the pages for use later. One thing that derailed me was when I made those "Stoopid!" brakes drums. I did manage to wrap one of the around the drum with out it breaking but the other one had some problems and then I sanded the patch losing some of the rivets and I just balked at replacing them. I just looked at the parts again and now it doesn't seem to be too daunting- I should be able to tackle this later this month or so... and the other issue was the wiring details of the engine-it just hurt my head to think,lok,do anything about it so- that's when I took a break. I think it will be the next thing I need to do before stating any of the other kits I have on the shelf- God I have about ten kits still not done sitting around...
I will try to take some pics of some parts not shown yet. Here is the address for tha T-34 thread.

trying to get the metal ammo boxes in the fighting compartment to look right and I think I'm getting there.
there is still more to do with these...
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Return to Russian Tanks of World War Two