Humbrol Thinner

Topics, whether armour related or not, can be posted here.

Humbrol Thinner

Postby David Madsen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:38 pm

So I want to experiment with different brands of paints, currently I work with just acrylic Tamiya paints. I've seen that Humbrol is another often used brand wanted to see what I can do with those. However, I am having a hard time finding a larger can on Humbrol thinner for the enamel paints available in the US. I can find the very small bottles but I'd like something more bulk, like the 125ml + cans. Any clues where I can get them or could I substitute using a white spirit? Also, could someone direct me to a primer that I could buy in something bulk that I can shot through an airbrush rather than aerosol can? Thanks much.
David Madsen

Re: Humbrol Thinner

Postby Tim Gillis » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:33 pm

I have no idea what you can get for a bulk primer you can spray through a brush, but Humbrol paints can be thinned with any oil based thinner, I use testors enamel and or hardware store laquer thinner with them no problem.
Sanity is a matter of opinion
Tim Gillis

Postby David Madsen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:03 pm

I'll have to try and see what store bought thinner will do. I have lacquer thinner but I think that breaks down enamels more and might not work well. I've read through random forums that mineral spirits (white spirits) might be the best way to go. It's my only option since I can't seem to find humbrol thinner sold in the US. Just thought I'd see if there was anyone in the US that knows of the place. Thanks for your help!
David Madsen

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:58 pm

I also just use white spirits (paint thinner) but was using the Humbrol thinner till I ran out. I like using the brand of thinner for brand of paint , even if it costs a bit more, but Humbrol you can thin with paint thinner. You can also use laquer thinner but this need s some practice so you don't get a pebbly surface.

As for primer the aerosol Tamiya primers are great. Or you could try using some thinned down Mr. Surfacer, using lacquer thinner to thin it.
I would recommend either really good ventilation and/or a respirator when spraying!
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby David Madsen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:58 am

Thanks Jamie, I will keep that in mind. I also like the idea of using the brand of thinners with the same brand of paint but I just can't find any other than a small 20ml can which just won't be enough and very expensive.
David Madsen

Return to General