[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Embossing rips on PE parts...

Embossing rips on PE parts...

Topics, whether armour related or not, can be posted here.

Embossing rips on PE parts...

Postby Markus Lack » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 am

Hey Guys,
maybe one of you can help me.
For years I try to emboss the rips on PE boxes, fenders aso and always mess them up.
The rips work fine, but the metal bends too much while doing so, rendering the part useless. Now I plan to build a Panther and I already have some ABER-parts for the boxes and I really hope to get some tipps here...

Thanks in advance!
Markus Lack

Re: Embossing rips on PE parts...

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi Markus- I'm not sure -something lost in the translation- what exactly do you mean by "rips"
I suspect that you mean the areas one needs to emboss the parts such as the strengthen cross on a Panther storage box. I have found doing the embossing on a piece of MDF - medite? it works pretty good. When the metal warps I just use a tool to flatten it out on the curved up side of the parts to get it flat again. Annealing could reduce this but then you may have problems when you go to solder the part as this process changes something in the chemistry to repel solder.

Maybe using lighter pressure with more passes will reduce the warpage?
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Markus Lack » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Yes, those strengthening crosses are what I meant. Sorry, sometimes my english leaves me alone ;).
You really use some MDF? I thought, since it isn´t flexible, that it would prevent embossing?
I tried it on some firm rubber (formerly butt of a gunstock) and my cutting matt and it really might be that this was the problem. I will try your tipp out, it can´t get any worse ;woot: . Good point about not annealing it since I wanted to do so.
Thanks James, that really helps!
Markus Lack

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Markus Lack » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Good morning James,
it really makes perfect sense. I was thinking a while about it last night and I think you´re right with that.
You will see how it turns out once I come around to try it.
Markus Lack

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Markus check this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=270&p=1231#p1231

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Markus Lack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 pm

YES! Thanks a lot James. I knew you did some kind of SBS on the strengthening rips but I couldn´t remember during which build.
Cheers for digging it out! thumb3
Markus Lack

Return to General