[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Japanese Type 97 Shinhoto

Japanese Type 97 Shinhoto

While not as extensive as other countries there was a fair amount of vehicle development from the Japanese Axis.

Re: Japanese Type 97 Shinhoto

Postby Roy Schlicht » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:18 pm

O.K. I did a two filters as mentioned earlier followed by a pin wash and the oil dot meathod on the turret only thus far. What do you thing. the turret has a streaky dusry dirty look to it now and I am not sure if that is the intended result. Also note how the decal film really stands out now. That has to go, any ideas. Take a look.

Next I will finish the rest of the tank with the oil dot method but may do it a little different to see if the results change. I may know the reason why the turret looks kinda crummy IMHO. What do you all think?

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Postby David Madsen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Did you apply a future after applying the decals to seal them in? From what I've observed, doing so helps to make the decals blend in. It could also just be the contrast of the glossy decal and matt paint, once you put down a clear matt coat it may fix it.
David Madsen

Postby Roy Schlicht » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:13 am

No I did not seal the decals because the tutorial I was following made no mention of it. I am wondering if I could cut out the offending sections with a sharp exacto. I may give that a try. Also looking at the pics I noticed there is still quite alot of pin wash clean up I have to do. Again this is an experimental, study piece so I really don't care if I mess it up to much. One thing I have learned in the past and this project has brought back to life is to take lots of pictures with your digital camera and look at them. You really notice things that you didn't notice before by just looking at it. I don't photo shop or mess with auto correcting the photo at all so what you see is what you get. Thanks for the comments.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby Roy Schlicht » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:02 pm

O.k. I went back with a sharp exacto and cut out all the annoying film. Then I finished the oil dot pattern on the whole upper portions of the tank along with a few sections of the lower hull as well. To finish it off I added some "rain marks" on the lower hull sides as well.

There are a few things that need to be touched up but then I will paint all the details such as the pioneer tools and put the road wheels back in place and find some suitable tracks. What do you think?

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:01 pm

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Roy Schlicht » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Yes I was thinking of a very light dry brush to further bring out some of the detail but not necessarily to lighten the overall effect although it may do that. I'll give it a shot. Right now I am getting the details painted and such. The screens over the exhaust are molded plastic so I will have to give that special attention to make it more realistic. Thanks.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Shinhoto update...

Postby Roy Schlicht » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Well after a conserable amount of work this is where I am at. I gave the model a light dry brush with "Naples Yellow" oil paint, used some graphite in a couple of areas and then I got the old tracks and put them on. Since every picture I have seen of the Type 97 showed considerable sag in the tracks I had to figure out a way to potray this using the rubber band tracks. SO i used the old pin method in where you drill holes into the side of the lower hull in the appropriate place and use metal pins to hold down the track making the sag. You can still see some of the pins as I haven't cut he pins to the proper length yet as I still have to remove the tracks to paint them. Well here are the pics.

Well what do you think? I noticed that you can still see some of the decal film on some of the decals but I'm good with it as this is just going to be a shelf sitter anyhow. About all I have left to do is paint and install the tracks and then give it a shot of dull coat and a light dusting on the lower hull and road wheels. Thanks for looking.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby Tim Coulson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:33 am

Nice work Roy. thumb6
Tim Coulson

Quick Update

Postby Roy Schlicht » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks for the comment Tim. Well, I applied a light dusting to the model using Tamiya "Buff" highly diluted with Tamiya Laquer thinner. I also painted the tracks flat black and will start weathering them tonight. Also how does one edit a post on here or is that possible? Thanks.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Re: Quick Update

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:53 pm

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Tanks of World War Two