Japanese Type 97 Shinhoto

While not as extensive as other countries there was a fair amount of vehicle development from the Japanese Axis.

Japanese Type 97 Shinhoto

Postby Roy Schlicht » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:42 am

O.k. Last week I decided to try out some new tecniques. In the past I painted my models with enamels, coated with future or duraquil, decals, gave it a sludge wash (what I call it) with oils, light dry brush with oils then dull coat. I never used filters washes or dot tecnique. A sludge wash in case you are wondering is very simple. I cover the entire model with dark umber (the dark brown color) oil paint. Then using q-tips I proceed to wipe off as much as I can. Usually what is left over is just stuff that is in the nooks and crannies. It also acts as a type of filter and blends in everything. Well I purchased the AK Interactive DVD on filters, washes and such and such (don't remember the title exactly as it isn't right in front of me) and decided that I am going to try and basically follow the procedures outlines in it. So what I am going to do is paint in acrylics, light modulate, decal, chip (I'm not a big chipper so should be quick) and then follow the DVD for the rest. So I needed a test subject. I was looking at my stash for something I could knock out real quick but really couldn't find anything. I wanted it to be German so I could use a tri color scheme but again couldn't really find something that I could quickly finish and start to paint. After all this was going to be a test subject. I then remembered that several years ago I bought a small collection of models from someone and one of the kits that was in it was an already assembled Tamiya Japanese Type 97 Shinhoto tank. The build wasn't the best but was adequate and the paint job didn't matter as it was going to be repainted but what I like about it was I could do a tri color scheme (actually 4 if I add the yellow stripe). So the first thing I had to do was check the model and make sure it wasn't missing anything. Besides some grab handles and the AA mount it was all there. I replaced the missing handles but couldn't find an AA mount (although I think I have one that I can put on later). Now for the scheme. I used Model Master Acrylics and chose the "Light Earth" for the base color. After letting it sit over night I did a light modulation of the base color. Again after sitting over night I used "Silly Putty" to mask the model and used "Schokoladenbraun" for the brown color and repeated the previous steps. I then masked some more with silly putty and painted the green using "Medium Green". Tonight I will finish the modulation for the green. Afterwards I will take a picture or two to show you where I am at (wish I would have taken some before shots but oh well). Well now that you are all up to speed we can proceed the rest of the way together. Until next post.

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Re: Japanese Type 97 Shinhoto

Postby David Madsen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:25 pm

I look forward to what you find out. I have only been Modeling for a year couple of years and have always enjoyed learning new techniques and methods of painting/weathering. I haven't done a sludge but usually just wash down my oil paints and concentrate around the tight spots. I have never used filters however, I'm interested with what you find out. I also haven't tried color modulation but would like to try it and see how I like it. I've got a vickers 6-ton that I think would be a good subject for that. I'll be posting that after my renault projects.
David Madsen

Postby Roy Schlicht » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:44 pm

O.k. Here are some pics. I got the base coat done with some slight modulation and chipping around the hatches. Hopefully they will tone down once the filters are applied. The silly putty masking leaves very sharp edges and would be perfect for late war German Hard Edge cammo.

I am still not sure if I want to do the yellow stripe or not. But I will need to decide soon. Suggestions welcome.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby Jamie Tainton » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:51 am

Awesome, looking good!
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dan Reed » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Yes, please!
Dan
Dan Reed

Postby Roy Schlicht » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:35 am

O.K. guys right now I am on hold pending some decals. I may end up haveing to hand paint any marking I may wish to add. In th mean time I will paint the rubber portions of the road wheels and the pioneer tools.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby Roy Schlicht » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:04 am

Well like I mentioned I am on hold with this project pending decals. If any of you have an extra set of decals for the Tamiya Japanese Type 97 "late" I could use them. I have the word out on a couple of other sites trying to find some. I prefer marking for a Saipan combatant. I am doing some detail painting but that should be finished here shortly. Well until I get the decals...

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby Roy Schlicht » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:06 am

Well while waiting on some decal (which are on the way) I decided to look over the kit again and although I really wasn't going to worry about the build so much (since i wasn't the one who built it) I decided that since I had the time I could start cleaning things up. I carefully removed all the wheels and and removed the seams (the previous builder left them on) and cleaned up some seam lines on some smaller parts. Then I went back and touched up the paint on all the parts I cleaned up. The wheels have now been painted and will go back on once I finish the weathering process on the lower hull. I may post some updated shots this evening.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Japanese Type 97 Shinhoto w/Decal

Postby Roy Schlicht » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:05 pm

Well I got some decals. Big public Thank You to Brock Hopkins for coming through for me. The marking are of a tank that fought in the Saipan battle which so happens was the largest tank engagement of the Pacific war. The Japanese had 4 Shinhotos along with about 35 othe Type 97 Chi Has. They also had several dozen Type 95s there also. These pics are with the decals applied. I hand painted the Hinomarus on the front lower hull plate to give it a more hand painted look. Tamiya decals are notorious for being quite think and these are no different. They settled down very nicely with decal set and decal sol and I am hoping that with the weathering that the film will be masked.

Also noticed that the wheels have all been removed as mentioned earlier. They will not go back on until final weathering. Well that is where I am at. Now to start the weathering.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby Roy Schlicht » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:28 am

On Sat. I applied the filters using MIG Filters "Tan for tricolor scheme" and "Grey for bright Greeen". I didn't notice much of a change when I did the tan but after the grey the tank looked as if it had a slight dusting which is a nice effect. Last night the tank got a pin wash with Humbrol Flat back thinned with white spirits. Tonight I will clean up the pin wash and post some more pics.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Next

Return to Japanese Tanks of World War Two