[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Japanese Type 95 Ha Go

Japanese Type 95 Ha Go

While not as extensive as other countries there was a fair amount of vehicle development from the Japanese Axis.

Japanese Type 95 Ha Go

Postby Darren Gawle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:35 pm

It was HBO's The Pacific what did it... as I know of no running Type 95s around, I assumed the Type 95s seen in the episode where the Japanese counterattack at the airfield on Peleliu were either unusually good mockups or CGI. I think they were probably mockups, because the tanks in the episode aren't knocked out particularly violently; in the actual battle, Marine M4A2s used AP rounds which would enter one side of the Ha Go and exit the other without further damage so they switched to HE rounds which blew the Japanese tanks apart. Take a look at some of the tourist photos you'll see from time to time taken on Peleliu and you'll see what I mean - that's not the ravages of time you're looking at. Also, the Type 95s had 55-gal. oil drums cut in half and lashed to their sides to carry infantry - Marines later reported that the drums looked like seives draining blood after Marine MG teams took out the infantry riding inside them. I'm actually kinda glad they didn't try and recreate this scene in the miniseries...

Anyway, the Type 95 Ha Go was about the most commonly-encountered Japanese tank in the Pacific and after having seen enough of them KOed in photos I kinda developed a soft spot for them. I'm not sure exactly which unit/location I want to do yet, but I'm leaning towards either Iwo Jima or Tarawa. There's a very useful colour photo of a Ha Go on Tarawa at showing the brown, green, and yellow (but not the "parched grass" colour) which also whet my appetite for this build.

While I'm dropping URLs, Taki's website is also pretty much essential:

Unfortunately, FineMolds kits are uncommon here in Vancouver, and when you see them they tend to be prohibitively expensive (a local hobby shop has their 1:72 Bf109K-4 kit for over $40 CDN!) So I mail-ordered from the AFV Modeller shop without thinking twice, as the Canadian dollar's performing really well against the pound and I've heard enough positive feedback about FineMolds in general. I think this positive feedback must largely be based on people just being happy that someone out there is kitting WW2 Japanese vehicles, because on opening the box I was in for a shock. Quality-wise the kit's about on par with Italeri, but with sharper detail and fewer sink marks; that said, expect a lot of flash and mould shift. Also, dry fitting is essential or else you'll be in for some nasty surprises, particularly while assembling the multi-part lower hull.

A pleasant surprise is that, despite also offering a more comrehensive PE set which I decided I wasn't going to order, the kit comes with PE for the exhaust shroud, as well as a white metal tow cable assembly.

This is where I'm at to date. The casemate for the hull MG position is being worked on as it presents some annoying gaps where it's supposed to meet the hull. You can see that the upper hull/glacis plate needed some shimming to eliminate some more gaps (more on this in a minute...)

The reinforcing wedges inboard of the final drives were incorrectly spaced, so i replaced them with styrene - I may yet replace these again as they styrene looks a bit too thick. The red arrow indicates the kit's mount for the bow towing shackle - I'm still checking my references, but this style may be an early feature; check the detail in the next photo and you'll see what I mean. The top edge of the lower glacis had to be sanded down dramatically to line up with the upper hull/glacis plate.

You can see here the shimming required on either side of the upper hull/glacis plate (left and right arrows) I still have some feathering-in of the styrene to do, hence the Mr. Surfacer. You can also see some nice sheet metal texturing moulded onto the kit fenders. The kit also features some residual marks from when I assume they were laying out where the rivets and bolts would go (which you can also make out in that last shot) - it's a weird detail I've never noticed anywhere else. I'm hoping this may not be obvious when I prime the model. The inset image is of one of the remaining Type 95s on Peleliu and the towing shackle mount which I'll be scratchbuilding on my kit.

More work required to make this area of the kit not look like crap. the lower edge of the opening had to be shaved/sanded so that the grillework would fit, and further work on the sides of the opening was required so that the already-present gaps would at least be uniform so I can shove some styrene in there... oy gevalt...

That's all for now,

DG
Darren Gawle

Re: Japanese Type 95 Ha Go

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Oh great now I have to make another forum section! ;)
Hey that's great Darren thanks for posting your progress, I'm sure I'll find any progress shots totally interesting. Look forward to more.
BTW I've made a category for the Japanese tanks of WWII so hopefully it's not confused you, as like I say this place is a work in progress and any changes will come when a need is detected.
Here is some scans from the one mag- hope they are of use.

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Darren Gawle » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 am

Thanks a lot for posting the scans - as I suspected, there's a lot of business to be seen if I leave that behoemoth turret hatch open, so I may just leave it closed. Honestly, that just confirms what I suspected that the Type 95 turret had to have been about the worst laid-out piece of military hardware in history! The second-to-last photo, IIRC, was also featured in the AFV Interiors article.

DG
Darren Gawle

Postby Allan Williams » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:17 am

Darren,
I know bugger all about Jap tanks, but did an interior and exterior walkaround of a Type 97 Tankette that's in a museum near here if these are in any way similar.

Allan
Allan Williams

Postby Darren Gawle » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks for the offer Allan, but as you suspected the two are completely different tanks.

DG
Darren Gawle

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:13 pm

I have posted some screen grabs from the Pacific TV show.
They are in an album in the gallery

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dan Reed » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:23 pm

I wonder if this is a older Fine Molds model? I built one a few years ago and it's molding was top-notch-very Tamiya like.
Good to see something different.
Dan
Dan Reed

Postby Andrei Kazinets » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:20 am

I welcome! ,:>
The Japanese reservation is very interesting to me. With curiosity I will watch assemblage process. What additions to a base set plan to use? It is old model with a heap of discrepancies, I wish good luck in construction! ;B;
Andrei Kazinets

Postby Darren Gawle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Dan: Funny, the box has the date 2009 on it so what I think the problem is, at least as far as the flash goes, is that the molds are getting to the end of their useful life cycle?

Andrei: Thanks - if I un derstand you correctly, I'm going to use what came in the box as far as aftermarket goes - I don't think the kit needs large amounts of photoetch anyway. I will want to upgrade the tracks, though. You get rubber band tracks in the kit and I like indie-link tracks better, especially when there's track sag like on a Type 95 - plus, there are supposed to be holes in the guide teeth. Otherwise, I'll add styrene improvements as I go.

Anyway, I'm taking a break from this as I finish another project whose deadline is looming (you'll hear more about that one in September... wss.)
Darren Gawle

Postby Paul Truesdale » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:18 pm

In the pic where the Japanese soldiers are sitting around (the page 47 pic) what is below the turret above the track sponsons? Are those smoke dischargers?

Paul #^(
Paul Truesdale

Next

Return to Japanese Tanks of World War Two