[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Japanese Type 95 Ha Go

Japanese Type 95 Ha Go

While not as extensive as other countries there was a fair amount of vehicle development from the Japanese Axis.

Re: Japanese Type 95 Ha Go

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Keep the updates coming, looking forward to them, and I hope you get to take some pics, the good Lord willin' thumb3
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Darren Gawle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:56 am

Dan: I use a liquid masking agent made by Vallejo. It's not the greatest stuff I've worked with - I prefer Maskol by Humbrol, but I haven't seen that around here for ages. Had to use what I could find.

Photos coming when it's all been painted and unmasked.

Thanks!

DG
Darren Gawle

Postby Dan Reed » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:03 pm

James,
Have you tried using Silly Putty? Great stuff and would work well on this kit due to it's flat surfaces.
Dan
Dan Reed

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dan Reed » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:18 pm

:oops:
Who feels like a ass now?
Dan
Dan Reed

Postby Darren Gawle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:27 pm

I had thought about silly putty and masking tape but settled on the liquid mask because of the fine curves which will be involved with the camouflage pattern. Liquid mask can be no fun at all to remove, especially around areas like hinges but it was the lesser of three evils as far as I was concerned. #^(

In other news, I picked up the FineMolds Type 97 Chi Ha "limited edition" kit with the early style of engine deck. I'll see about posting photos of my haul as a separate thread later, but I have to say the moulding quality is SO much better than the Ha Go this thread is devoted to. This must be the quality evryone seems to rave about. No white metal jack, though...

DG
Darren Gawle

Postby Darren Gawle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:41 pm

It looks like this model has a date with a can of oven cleaner; I'm not 100% happy with the way the contours in the camouflage pattern turned out using liquid mask, and I'm also not 100% happy with the camouflage colours themselves - the yellow is too deep, the green isn't light enough, and the brown is too... well, purple, actually. And the liquid mask is such a bitch to remove that a complete re-think of this is in order.

Anyway, I wasn't going to post photos but some of you are probably wondering what all the fuss is about:

And for some reason while I was painting the green the entire LHS became coated in animal fur. Really. I have no idea where it came from...

DG
Darren Gawle

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:22 am

Hi Darren, I for one appreciate the photos, they show a lot as the old saying goes. I think it's good to post ones less successful efforts as we can all learn something,I always try and show my mistakes in these things as well as the stuff that makes me look good. I kinda thought the masking with liquid mask would be a bitch as I in my experience it's always a drag trying to get the stuff off, specially when using enamels. I think I will try very diluted paint hand painted in many layers next time as it may give me more control of the pattern. Keep up the good work it's good to see more of these Jap tanks, my curiosity is is growing.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Coulson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Darren,

How's the paint removing going?

It's probably too late to be of use to you, but I've come across some walkaround photos of a Type 95 at the Bovington Tank Museum. Don't know if you have seen them?

http://jtrowbridge5.smugmug.com/Walkaro ... 8412_Diunb

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Darren Gawle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks for the link, Tim, I was already familiar with it. I also found this link once: which has photos of other Type 95s in Russia, Hawaii, and the APG.

Most of the paint came off with oven cleaner, but there are a couple of spots which I might need something a little more medicinal than oven cleaner to get done.

DG
Darren Gawle

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Tanks of World War Two