[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - British Light Tank MKVIB~Vulcan

British Light Tank MKVIB~Vulcan

Post your in progress shots and descriptions on British subjects here

Re: British Light Tank MKVIB~Vulcan

Postby Dan Reed » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:59 pm

That's a very good start.
Vulcan looks to have a winner here.
Dan
Dan Reed

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:02 pm

Next comes the wheels and suspension in Step 5.
The wheels remind me of the ones used in Panzer IA and Panzer IB German tanks. The molding is good but there is a problem in that there are two recessed knock out marks. I used tow small discs of plastic that where made with my punch and die set.These were glued with CA to the spoke. Next this was scraped down with a curved Xacto knife and then camouflaged with a shot of Mr. Surfacer 500. In this picture you can see on the right the unadulterated wheels with the knock out marks on the front of the spokes. On the left the spokes have been coated in Mr. Surfacer.

The small discs glued into the holes.

Pictured here is is one of the assemblies that I made using parts A1, A2, A3, A4, and two B2 wheels. If you notice there is the glint of brass there. I ended up replacing the pin on part A1with some brass rod. I did this because I tried gluing the parts A1- A2 together to sandwich the wheel B2 in place. But the glue wondered and the wheel was not spinning. I want the wheel to turn for painting etc. so this was a problem. I think the solution I have come up with is more sturdy and I'm happy this is what I ended up doing.

So to demonstrate my process here, these are parts A5, A6. I have snipped the pin from part A5.

Next you can see I have drilled into the root of the snipped pin on part A5.

The brass rod glued into the hole

snipped brass

drilled a hole through part A6.

here you can see the brass rod threaded into place. A dry fit.

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Marcos Serra » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:27 am

Clean build with greats tips about this little beast...

My kit is in transit...

Congrats...

Following !!!

pilot

Marcos Serra

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks a lot Marcos, glad you are taking an interest! :Y)
These pics are from the past week - just got chance now to update. The first one shows the front set of bogie wheels and suspension. You can see that on the sprue beneath the wheels are some nuts. These need to be shaved very carefully and then glued onto the brass rod of the suspension parts. Two on each side. Be careful with these. The front and back have almost identical parts but there is a subtle difference in length. The instructions have the info there, just make sure you study them and sort the parts accordingly.

There is a small spring that fits within the bigger springs.

Started attaching the parts with thick gel CA-

The other side

Like the front set of suspension, the rear set has four parts. Two of them need to be joined and secured by melting the end down to seal the deal. The instructions show a heated knife but I used a lit piece of incense.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Now, with the four sets of suspension in place I experienced a problem that the tension in the springs would not allow the wheels to lay flat on the table. I needed to use some glue and a weight to get everything to sit properly.

Mission accomplished, basically.

You may have noticed that I have changed the driver's hatch position where I decided I wanted the top flaps open as I was not happy with the sit of the hatches closed. Not worried about not much interior as it will be dark in there.

The front sprocket wheels. The attachment point is very weak and I decided to drill it out and drill holes into the hull and used some brass rod as an axle.

The fenders. Thinned out the rear parts. The front parts,at the right in this picture, did not seem to fit right on the right side.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby David Johannsen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 am

David Johannsen

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:36 pm

so here is a good link for some pics
http://svsm.org/gallery/mkVIlight

and for some different paint schemes
http://www.armouredacorn.com/

I may do a Canadian one used then for training.
http://www.armouredacorn.com/Refs-%20Th ... 0(CAFVS-TC).pdf
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby David Johannsen » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:11 am

David Johannsen

Postby Roy Schlicht » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:03 am

James, you plan on picking this one up again anytime soon? It's looking very good. I want to get one of these kits and hopefully will be able to pick one up this April at the Seattle Spring Show.

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Postby Pierre Parroux » Mon May 21, 2012 6:08 am

i baught it from easy hobby, and this post is very interesting, i wait this kit is finish to start mine.. ;watching;
Pierre Parroux

PreviousNext

Return to British Tanks of World War Two