[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - British Armoured Car Pattern 1920 Mk.I ~ Roden

British Armoured Car Pattern 1920 Mk.I ~ Roden

Post your in progress shots and descriptions on British subjects here

Re: British Armoured Car Pattern 1920 Mk.I ~ Roden

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:32 pm

One thing I am discovering with this build is there really are many variations in the details that each of these cars had. This build was the ice breaker, and I think I have learned a little that I will take into the next build on this type of vehicle.And I will work from a photo of a real item to help make it accurate.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:06 pm

So I finally have the energy to post some more progress shots. I decided to do the home guard version which is kinda boring but I will do the desert scheme on the next Roden version with the fatter desert tires. I also wasn't able to find a good reference of an actual one with the Ajax paint scheme with at the details that are on the kit. Like I say it's probably better to get a photo of an actual item and work from that as the details in the kit are a bit all over the place for any specific vehicle.

So first I used some Future for any decals to come and oil washes.

Added the decals

You can see in these close up shots the rather rough looking plastic surface that this company passes off as acceptable. If there was another company such as Dragon or Tamiya that did this kit it maybe that I would choose their version as this quality is sub standard. But it is the only game in town, and I really did not want to sink a lot of time in this build. There are some detail missing that are kinda important, but more on that later.

Now a wash with artist oil colours and paint thinner- no need to any fancy branded products that are not as useful in my opinion than making your own.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dan Reed » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:18 pm

Love that bright green! thumb3
Am glad to see that you are using a uncommen decal option-something new here!
Dan
Dan Reed

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks Dan.

Looking at the above foto of the real vehicles it looks like there are no water boxes on the side running boards, which is a good thing as I would have to redo the boxes . The ones that come with the kit are engineered in a clumsy fashion. To fill and sand the lions with the molded on netting would be very difficult, a waste of time.
Also the tires seem to be of a different type, more tread and a little wider, than what come with the kit.
I can't tell about the front armour doors for the radiator, as the picture is a little dark to make out weather the small square ventilators are mounted on these vehicles, but at this point I've got no choice. wss.
The two long narrow storage boxes at the back sides don't look accurate when looking at pics of the real thing. Also I notice the upper flood light on top of the turret is not in the reference photo above.
I won't address it with this build as it is too late now for me to be bothered, to be honest, is how the two de trenching boards are stored under the running boards. This build while not a failure has turned out to be a bit of an education. On the next one with the desert tires I'll be more aware of some of the required alterations. wss.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:48 pm

So now some update pics, where the steps shown are the wiping back of the dark raw umber wash after it had dried for a few days, using a rag with a very minute amount of paint thinner to help reactivate the in areas I want it removed, leaving the wash around rivets and depressions etc.
I then did some dry brushing with the Humbrol green colour with a little white mixed in it. Then I sprayed a Humbrol flat coat. Onto this after it had dried for a few days I did a Green oil filter to bring some green into the painted surface. After looking at the reference picture of the cars on the road above it seems there was a bit of a gloss to the paint, therefore after all the proceeding was good and dry I sprayed a few coats of Future thinned with water to impart a bit of a sheen to the paint. I didn't want it to be really glossy as at this scale it may make it appear to be a bit toy-like so I aimed for a gloss somewhere in the middle, more to give the idea of a shiny coat.
Also during the building of this kit and digging for information I discovered that the running boards perhaps should have a natural wood look to them- not painted metal. So I took some retroactive moves to rectify that situation. I taped off and sprayed the area I wanted to be wood with some Tamiya Dark Yellow, onto which I applied a fairly heavy wash of red/brown oil paint. This was given a grain effect with a brush dragged though it while still wet. I still need to put a toner glaze over this in the next days after it has cured and dried well. After that I will commence to spray the lower areas with some dirt/earth and dust to give the model some grounding. The vehicles that were in the 12th perhaps were well maintained and probably did not have a lot of aging/weathering on them.

Wiped back wash

dry brushed

flat coated

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:49 pm

subtle gloss coat

masked off

sprayed with Tamiya

oil wash for graining