[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - 1/24, Tasca Panzer II F...and dark grey

1/24, Tasca Panzer II F...and dark grey

Ask any questions regarding real Panzerkampfwagen II or modelling them.

Re: 1/24, Tasca Panzer II F...and dark grey

Postby Markus Lack » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:39 am

LOL! Good definition mate! :mrgreen:
Seeing it this way, you are correct since it´s most unlikely to see our kits in anyones art collection. ;woot:
Markus Lack

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 pm

was this pic posted? Looks pretty fucking dark to me.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Excellent pic !
It reminds me of these family pics, on the beach, where the sky looks deep dark blue (when it is not really) and people have the deep brown tan skin ... see what I mean ?
Sometimes a polarizing filter helps ...
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Piotr Mikolajski » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:37 am

I've cleaden up a little photo of Bovington's tank, prepared colour sample from patch of original paint and added some white to gain Ian Huntley's scale effect samples:

Of course this picture will be displayed differently on various monitors but shows one important thing - 1/24 and 1/35 scales kits should be almost as dark, as original AFVs.
Piotr Mikolajski

Postby Jamie Tainton » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:21 am

While not a big believer in the scale effect theory I am grateful to you for adding to the debate! ,:>
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Piotr Mikolajski » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:11 pm

I've started to be believer when I've shot some photos of Antonov An-2 on local airfield. I know this aircraft very well - I was one of painters of :Y)

Colours seen on photos made on different distance slightly varied even on brand new and shiny aircraft. I'm quite sure that distance effect seen on aicraft / vehicle painted with matt paints would be much more visible. But still - blueish overcast made by distance and perspective effect doesn't explain using so light greys on 1/35 scale kits.
Piotr Mikolajski

Postby Paul Truesdale » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Late replying here but one thing I notice in the last photo on page 2, interesting aerial recognition flags......orange, I assume this is the Invasion of France?

I agree about the Panzer gray, almost black..... thumb6 but I also think it's a form of artistic expression/license whatever you call it. I have a few books which show some color plates are really a dark gray not light gray like in the movies (Battle of the Bulge for example).

Interesting discussion but I really think you won't convince some modellers even by showing historical photos.

Paul (serpico on PA)
Paul Truesdale

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:46 pm

Yes Paul one can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Nice of you to drop in, hope you hang around. :Y)
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Allan Williams » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:48 am

In the spirit of stimulating some discussion I thought I’d throw a few uneducated thoughts into the mix.
I’ve followed a number of these discussions about panzer colours, primarily because I know bugger all about it, and it’s a topic that never really seems to come to any concrete conclusions. It’s nice to see a debate where the participants appear to have more of an interest in establishing some concrete solution rather than simply proving that they’re right. Ha! Better to learn than know it all!
I think it’s worth noting that in the photo of the vehicle column Pawel posted on page 1, that the tone of grey varies on each of the vehicles shown, and all the greys so far demonstrated have a strong tone of blue in them. Although certainly nothing akin to that awesome ensemble that Jamie is modelling on page 1.
Below are two photos of an early pattern 2cm Flak 38. Captured by Australians in North Africa in about ’42. Having only been on public display for a short period in the 60s (or 70s, can’t remember) and otherwise in storage since the end of the war. Therefore it hasn’t been exposed to excessive ultra violet light or other elements to a degree that would drastically effect the colour of the paint, beyond simple aging.
As you can see, the grey is quite light which, despite the flash, I can vouch is only marginally lighter than in reality.

Underside of cover for rear Lafettenkasten.

Underside of Flakvisier platform.

For me, this begs the question, was artillery subject to the same colour guidelines as armour and other vehicles. Previously, I would have thought so. The same can be said for the truck in the second picture of Laurent’s response on page 1. Which, although it is overexposed, would not reduce the grey to a tone as dark what we’ve seen on many other vehicles and ordnance.
There is also evidence of a primer visible underneath the grey, so I’m not sure how this is relative to what Laurent was saying. Perhaps due to the combination of steel and alloy used throughout the weapon.
I’m also not familiar with the scale effect theory, but it does stand to reason in principle, that the smaller the surface, the greater the consideration for the strength of the colour needs to be. As with the opposite.
Enough from me!
Allan Williams

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:38 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Panzerkampfwagen II