[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - 1/24, Tasca Panzer II F...and dark grey

1/24, Tasca Panzer II F...and dark grey

Ask any questions regarding real Panzerkampfwagen II or modelling them.

1/24, Tasca Panzer II F...and dark grey

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Murat Özgül's recent postings at ML CC promoted me to start this thread regarding the way modellers seem to incorrectly portray the the dark almost black grey that was used on German Panzers of WWII. I mean every photo, save one or two out thee that show colour have the hue and shade to be almost black in colour, a warm tone and no powder sky blue. What bothers me is none of the people who apparently should know better actual say something about this- they only sign off on it- thus misleading other less informed modellers that this is correct- thus promoting the incorrect custom of this light blue as being an accurate rendition of the colour. Compare this picture of a Panzer II with Murat's

Don't take this as an attack on Murat- he's done a fine job of presenting a romanticized, artistic interpretation, it's more about how no one mentions the colour as being pretty far fetched in their "critiques".

I know Murat may get pissed at me for this but his is only the most recent example of this "trend" and like I say otherwise he's done an okay job. Although the rust on the tracks maybe a bit over done come to mention it. The leather donut pad on the hatch should be black from what I've discovered about this over the years, not brown.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/t ... zer+II+F...
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: 1/24, Tasca Panzer II F...and dark grey

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:24 am

James.
Funny you start this thread as I had in mind to start one in the same category on ML only I I realized I'd be kicked out and given names because of that.
It is no true when you say "nobody says nothing".
Remember the Panzer Tracts 1-2 :

Do not say we haven't been warned. Confronted to this kind of "samples" these guys at ML (or other places) claim "Jentz knows nothing about painting and camo" (and of course some very famous members of the "spanish school of painting" know better !).
Well in this case, these color plates have been made from real paint samples.
As you say not a single trace of blue in it.
David Byrden also tried to post some color pictures of Dunkelgrau tanks but was looked down as if he smelled of rotten fish.
People tried to "educate" our fellow modellers but sometimes people do NOT want to hear what you tell them.
I recently made a (positive) comment on some fellow modeller at ML CC telling him "next time remember the gun barrels were never painted red primer" such was his reaction that I decided I would never again post a comment on this CC forum.
Anyone who decides to paint his Pz IV pink and purple please feel free to do that I'll never say anything any more.

(pic courtesy of my daughter who once decided she'd use her photoshop skills on my poor Jagdpanzer IV :lol: )

It'd be interesting to bring some informations to our pals such as :
Do you know that the dunkelgrau paint wa discontinued because it was too expensive and for no other reason ? It contained some "strategic material". The good point of these "strategic components" was that ... no primer was needed.
So any modeller who paints red primer scratches under the coat of Dunkelgrau is wrong.

Wouldn't it be nice to put an end to these "urban legends" ?

By the way ... a couple of years ago Jentz asked me to "set the record straight" about three tone camo on some various forums. If you allow me to I'll post the thread here ?
Last edited by Laurent Moitrot on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:56 am

Thanks for taking the time to post this Laurent- good to see I'm not alone with this. thumb6

Hmmm no sky blue on this one
Image Image
As for the colour thread- I'd love you too. Start one specifically for it though so it will stand out. Thanks a lot.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dan Reed » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:19 pm

I see that I'm not the only one that thought the kit was too blue..
Dan
Dan Reed

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:08 am

Various samples ...
oooops ... sorry, right time and location but wrong topic.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:53 am

And how do you guys like this one ?
Do we see the grey - brown camo ?

Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Steve Sprague » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:54 pm

Hey James, this is a great topic... The question of whats appropriate in Panzer "grey" is always a debate. I couldnt find a good grey that I wanted to use for this PZ IV Im currently building but I ended up settling on Tamiya Dark Grey. Its my understanding that there wasnt one single color of 'Panzer grey' but instead, many variations? Based on the photos you have posted, it looks like my Dark Grey is a good choice to start with although I *might* tone it down with a drop or two of white, but nothing like what you would call "sky blue". ;)
Steve Sprague

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby pawel.janczarek » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Joining the discussion I must say that
I really like mentioned blue Pz II as a paintwork
- it's just nice and have catchy details.

I also totally agree that the color is wrong,
and in fact its true pity somehow that this days
nobody care and discuss facts like this
comenting this tank on other forums (even me) ...

German grey getting lighter with days like old people hair,
but I am thinking its all becasue this lighter /more blue colors
are much easier to look nice and show shapes and details
(even in paper printed color boards with markings its happening ).
and in modelling people sometimes use others models
almost like real walkarounds and color sheme references
forgetting about real ones...

I like this shade above although I didn't have occasion to try it out life on model
I have already prepared which Gunze C I should try to mix:
german grey, brown violet, tire black and light grey to lighten it up

best
Pawel

PS
Its easy to get lost this days, specially with all this fashion and trends around
- and I mean not only in modelling bussines.:)
pawel.janczarek

Postby Dan Reed » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Great info guys!
Dan
Dan Reed

Next

Return to Panzerkampfwagen II