[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Tamiya 1/35 Field Kitchen

Tamiya 1/35 Field Kitchen

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Field Kitchen

Postby Tim Coulson » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:07 am

A while ago I put a request on some militaria forums for information about field kitchen limbers in museums. I didn't get any response and I had forgotten about it when I had a private message from a guy in Germany who has a limber and kitchen!

I explained why I was interested in the limber and I will be visiting next month to extensively photograph and measure the real thing! Although I haven't been able to continue with this build, since my move from the UK, I am now in a position to see the real thing to build an accurate model! The limber is original and has only had a few wood and metal parts replaced. Unfortunately I can't visit when the kitchen is in operation to commemorate the end of World War 2 in that region. :-(

I have also contacted a guy in Australia and he kindly emailed me some scans of original photos that he has collected of the field kitchen and limber. I have purchased the Gulaschkanone book that Dan has, which has some very useful photos and info.

What started out as a simple out of the box build is turning into a massive research and correction project. :eek:

I will update with more information as soon as I can.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Milan Mynar » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Hello Tim. Here you are some few photos of other German field kitchen for inspiration. This one has wheels from russian 45 mm antitank gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milan Mynar

Postby Milan Mynar » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Next photos of the same kitchen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milan Mynar

Postby Tim Coulson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Many thanks for the photos Milan. thumb6

I've just got back from my trip during which I visited the limber and kitchen that I mentioned about in my last post. I also visited the Koblenz museum. I could have easily spent the whole day measuring the limber but I was only able to stay for the morning as I had to travel though France to get the Euro Tunnel to the UK.

I will post more soon.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Tim Coulson » Tue May 08, 2012 8:06 am

I'm working on producing accurate plans of the limber in Google SketchUp at the moment. This a great tool for designing scratch parts, it's free and easy to use.

I will update my build ASAP.
Tim Coulson

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 pm

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Coulson » Wed May 09, 2012 5:26 am

No problem, below is a quick start guide for making 2d plans.

Download and install SketchUp from Google.

Click the Sketchup icon on your Desktop and then Click choose template at the top right side.

Choose Product Design and Woodworking - Millimeters and then Start using SketchUp at the bottom right.

In SketchUp go to the camera menu and choose Parallel Projection.

Then in the camera menu choose standard views and the camera position you require.

I prefer to turn off the axes as it can be distracting. Go to the view menu and deselect axes.

You can now start drawing with either the line, rectangle or circle tools at the top of the screen. I've choosen the rectangle tool, to represent the main box of the limber.

Click and drag to create a rough shape that you require. The dimensions box at the bottom shows the dimensions created.

When you have created your rough shape you can enter the exact dimensions that you require. Simply type the measurements separated by a comma and press enter.

Now you can add to the basic shape by using the line, rectangle and circle tools. There is a lots of help online, just type your question into Google.

Note: When using the circle tool the default will give a jagged edge to the circle. Click on the circle tool and then type 100 or more and press enter. You will notice that the dimensions box now says sides 100. Your circles will now be round.

Hope this helps.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Previous

Return to General Axis