Tamiya 1/35 Field Kitchen

Tamiya 1/35 Field Kitchen

Postby Tim Coulson » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:20 am

Welcome to my first build blog on Armour Workshop. I will be building Tamiya's Field Kitchen straight from the box. I wanted a project that I could build fairly quickly and experiment painting techniques with. Hopefully, sometime in the not to distant future I will superdetail Tamiya's Field Kitchen Scenery to be included in a diorama.

This blog is similar to my Planet Armor vBench, which can be found here. http://planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6781

In the box are two sprues of dark grey plastic, one each for the kitchen and the limber and two sprues of white plastic for the horses and figure. Also included is a rectangle of flexible plastic to make the harnesses.

I gathered as many reference photos as I could find on the Internet to check the accuracy of this kit. Although the kit dates from the late 1970's it is a very accurate representation of a German World War 2 field kitchen & with a few additions it will build into a very realistic model. From the reference photos I found, it is obvious that there were several different types & sizes of field kitchen. Looking at the walk around photos of the field kitchen that Jamie Tainton posted here on Armour Workshop (Thanks James) it appears to be almost identical to the kit. Although the kitchen and as far as I can tell the limber is very accurate, the figure is not so good and the upper body appears to be quite small. Hopefully, when painted and seated on the limber it will look ok.

Construction:

Construction starts with the chassis of the kitchen. The parts here, particularly the leaf springs and axle required quite a bit of cleaning up due to the moulds being misaligned.

Moving on to the body of the kitchen the parts fit together very well due to various locating pins. I drilled out the holes on the panel on the rear of the kitchen.

Dry test fit of parts. The gap at the front of the kitchen is not as large when glued, but it will need a little filling.

The wheels took a long time to clean up as there is a mould seam on both sides of each spoke and on the inside of the wheel rim.

Chimney & ashtrays added. The field kitchen is now stuck together and all the gaps have been filled with superglue and rubbed down.

Referring to the reference photos I have gathered, I drilled out the reflector, gently bent the cooking pot lid handle upwards and used a piece of brass wire to fill the hole in the lid on the left hand side.

I tried to make the lump of plastic that was supposed to represent a handle on the small door at the front of kitchen, look like a handle by drilling it out. I only succeeded in breaking it off :x

I used a piece of scrap brass, from an etched set, formed using my hold & fold "bug" to make a new handle.

I filled in the row of holes on the left hand side, at the bottom edge of the kitchen, as I cannot see these holes in the reference photos. The vertical holes inline with the chimney are clearly shown in many photos but I can find no evidence of the other holes.

The kitchen is now ready for priming. Hopefully I won't have to do any more sanding.

Next time: Construction of the limber.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Field Kitchen

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:48 am

Hey Tim thumb1 Thanks for dropping in. I've got a couple of this kit so it'll be interesting to see how you go with it, maybe it'll help me in my future builds.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Steve Sprague » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Hey this is kinda cool! I remember that kit from when I was a kid although it never appealed to me at the time..too much boring, not enough killing potential for a young teenager. :fritz: Ill be interested to see how the horses turn out. Considering that the Germans had a considerable part of their military still involved with horses, I think its an area of modeling thats often under-represented in scenes. As an aside, Zvezda just released a figure kit of Russian tank hunters with dogs...its interestingly macabre enough that I might have to pick it up just for the weird factor. :mrgreen:

Steve Sprague

Postby Dario Risso » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:16 am

Poor dogs sadface

Anyway, your kitchen is interesting!

Waiting for updates

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Tim Coulson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:24 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I haven't made as much progress as I had hoped to this past week, due to not feeling well and family staying over the weekend.

I have researched the limber and found it to be inaccurate in places. From the hundreds of photos on the Axis History Forum, I have found that there were two types of limber for the field kitchen.
One type had all pressed "X" strengthening panels see http://www.landships.freeservers.com/fs ... review.htm and the other type had all plain panels see http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1376148 (Photo No.8) and here http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &start=135 (Photos 1& 9)

Tamiya's limber has some plain panels and some with the "X" strengthening, which are not the correct "X" shape. The armrest/safety bar on the top of the limber is the wrong shape and the footrest/splashboard is also not the correct shape.

I have made the correct shape armrest/safety bar from 0.9mm brass wire using the photos on the Axis History Forum as a guide. I will also be removing the "X" panels from the kit to make it the plain panel version.

Photos to come in the next couple of days.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Steve Sprague » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:27 am

Hey Tim, hope youre feeling better soon. Maybe working on your kit will make you feel better? :D

Here is a link for some things to dress up your field kitchen.

http://www.verlindenonline.com/store/ve ... -1204.html
Steve Sprague

Postby Tim Coulson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:57 am

Thanks for the link Steve, much appreciated.

I am feeling better now & I hope to do some work on the limber tonight. :D

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:55 pm

Nice work Tim on a subject you don't see every day. Looks like you are well on your way to a nice looking display.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Coulson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:10 am

Only a small update this time with the promised photos.

"X's" to be removed from the front and rear panels of the limber. (Note the large ejector pin marks on the front panel)

Correct shape armrest made from brass wire, formed around a large paint brush handle, using reference photos as a guide.

Thanks for looking. I hope to have the limber built by the weekend.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Tim Coulson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:57 am

Just a quick update on the progress of the limber.

I've now removed the "X's" from the front & rear panels. Like the field kitchen there are many gaps, which will need filling. I have since removed the kit armrests, ready for the new wire ones.

Next time: Attaching the new armrests.

Thanks for looking.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Next

Return to General Axis