[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Sd.Kfz. 222 Leichter Panzerspahwagen (2cm) Mid ~ Tristar

Sd.Kfz. 222 Leichter Panzerspahwagen (2cm) Mid ~ Tristar

Re: Sd.Kfz. 222 Leichter Panzerspahwagen (2cm) Mid ~ Tristar

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:01 pm

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:20 pm

So a few shots showing more about the two tiny metal boxes.
The first box with Griffon latch in place

as you can see fully articulating. (Note: the pin to the right may help get some idea of scale)

The second box with only the top square to add and then once that is in place careful scoring until the metal is sliced through and then the top and bottom sanded flush, as in the previous example. I had some trouble with this one and soldering on the hinges, sometimes if you don't get it the first time your screwed. I spent more than half a day keeping things together as the soldering iron reheated and dislodged things while I had difficulty lining things up. My painful perfectionism did not help as in trying to make something perfect I lost a perfectly good incarnation of the box only to have things disintegrate and have to almost start over! In the end I took the cowards way out by attaching the hinges with Flex CA glue, which actually worked very well, me telling myself that it was a good opportunity to show that for some who don't use soldering irons,you can still make it with CA!

Here I solder the 5 sided cube to the sixth side- a piece of sheet brass. Once it is secured, I trim the excess and sand it all flush, then cut the lid from the whole. adding hinges and latch with Flex type CA.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 pm

No times for talk just photos... hippy_smilie

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Coulson » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:16 am

Looking good Jamie. thumb6
Tim Coulson

Postby Michael Seemann » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:00 am

Coming along beautifully.
Michael Seemann

Postby Jamie Tainton » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks guys with the weekend here I hope o finish up the last few tings, do a few paint touch ups and then get into aging this thing. :fritz:
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:50 pm

Spent some time this afternoon taking the Notek light, mount, and soldered guard I had made. I wanted to replace the mount with a PE one and then solder the guard in place- but in the end it was discarded after all as it is too large for a proper fit. The Notek is in with a very sturdy metal pinning and soldering. Also two AFV Club width markers (one that you saw in a photo above have been installed. I redid it though as the AFV stocks have an unrealistic bottom and did not fit the way the real ones are attached.. I shaved the circular mounting points that are moulded to the front fenders and then snipped and sanded the bottom of the AFV Club Brass items. Then I drilled a hole to fit the flange perfectly and then used two part epoxy to glue these in place. I have had enough for today, need to go Barbecue a rib eye. I took a few photos and will post as soon as I can.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:08 pm

So here's the pics from the weekend- hours work. Why oh why does it seem these builds always bog down near the end. Well I only have two more things to do- the jack block- which I will replace with real wood, from a Popsicle type thingy. Then the Notek guard- I'll have to try that again. Oh! and the width markers need some mounting discs added where they meet the fender.
Sorry for the quality but I hope it'll give you an idea...

In this picture, the pole on the RHS is in place. What I did was scrap the mounting disc from the fender, you can see the orange circle that shows where it was . I then used a couple of progressively larger diameter drill bits to make a receiving hole that fit the stub on the bottom of the brass pole part. I trimmed the original end of this where it is meant to go into the hole in the fender and made a bigger hole to fit the larger bottom. Following me so far? ;woot:

A close up showing the hole being drilled out.

In this picture you can see the original pin on the bottom of the brass part. What I chose to do is cut and file that off and leave the out of scale collar, this was then inserted into a drilled out hole in the plastic fender.

You can see in the far fender the hole is larger for the larger collar.

Because the guard was precariously glued and fragile, I decided to try and solder the Notek guard onto a PE metal part that would hold the Notek Light. I initially tried the one from an Aber tool set but it was too big, so I borrowed one from the LionRoar, (I think), set. I stripped the paint from the brass part with laquer thinner. Then I used a piece of brass tube the right size and some thick brass wire to insert into the disc, which was from the Aber set, and the mount from the other set. Then the plastic Notek light part was stripped with oven cleaner and glued in place with two part epoxy. The brass Notek guard, in the end, was not the right size, and after struggling to get it to fit with some new parts I gave up.I'll try and get it together later.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm

So I have sprayed out all the additions with the Laquer dark gray that was in the airbrush from other projects that were being worked on congruently. Next the model was sprayed with a clar and given a wash and then several filters were done.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Armoured cars and wheeled armoured vehicles