[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - SdKfz.221 ~ Bronco

SdKfz.221 ~ Bronco

SdKfz.221 ~ Bronco

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:40 pm

Started this one on the weekend, so to start the blog here are the instructions

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: SdKfz.221 ~ Bronco

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Check out Terry's review at his PMMS website- it's got some good insights!
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... 35013.html

so the first thing I did was glue one side of the lower frame in place- kinda a mistake! You need to place the upper suspension parts that attach to the wheels in between the frame and body before you glue these on. The mold seams needed a lot of clean-up!
The parts all fit good and the 1st and 2nd step went pretty well.

The suspension parts

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Markus Lack » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:30 am

Great choice Jamie!
How would you rate the kit? I´d really fancy to get it too, but I´m still undecided.
Weren´t there issues with the turret dimensions?
Markus Lack

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:12 pm

So here is a few pics to show some more progress this time taking a look at the interior.
Interior side armour plates which have hand grenades etc attached were tackled first.

There is also the rear wall that separates the engine bay from the fighting compartment

A few shots showing a grab bag of some of the parts.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:47 pm

This one I have in stock but I'm afraid I do have the old turret ... although i do not remember what the problem was.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:13 pm

just a couple of shot to show some of the parts for the central gun seat and pedestal. The springs are a nice touch but not entirely accurate.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 pm

I should have updated this one a couple of weeks ago when I went ahead and started painting some of the lower parts, so I can age and weather this area before adding the wheels etc.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:27 pm

So while working and waiting to progress on the two Kfz. 13/14 kits I was able to make some pretty good headway with this 221. I have most of it done and painted dark gray - just need to detail some of the interior bits before I can close it up and start the finishing touches such s ageing etc. BTW I was able to look into the question Markus brought up and did some digging online to find out about this turret issue. Seems my kits turret is fine after all as I wasn't really sure, not really have the where withal to really look into it before- but I have a few days off!

Anyways here's a collage from pics from some reviews on line.
The back plate of the turret armour seems to have been the culprit- being too wide/long compared to photos, etc. The lighter gray one, the blowed up one, is the old one- the dark gray one was the one in my box, so it seems nothing to worry about for those out there that may want the kit, chances are this problem will not be in your box.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Some more pics of the Bronco Sdkfz 221 I'm doing, these were from the weekend. Just a dry fit...

I did not like the thickness of the turret armour and there were many artifacts that were there from the molding necessities so I carefully thinned the walls down with some judicious sanding. The lower turret ring was also kinda clunky and chunky so I scratched up a much simpler and elegant solution with some Evergreen plastic. I really like this kit and am looking forward to the next one with the bigger gun. It has pretty good details on the inside and the fit is really decent.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Armoured cars and wheeled armoured vehicles