[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Tamiya Sdkfz. 232 (8 Rad)

Tamiya Sdkfz. 232 (8 Rad)

Tamiya Sdkfz. 232 (8 Rad)

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:50 am

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: Tamiya Sdkfz. 232 (8 Rad)

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:51 am

I think this may have been my first attempt at doing weld lines to give more detail to a build. I think I could do better today:).
Until I can find the earlier photos these will have to suffice to show where I will start and progress. I won't be going into as much effort in the number photos and updates as on my usual build logs but I hope it helps someone.
So here I have added the Eduard two part drivers hatch and the engine access hatch. If I had realized before sanding the kits hinges off I would not have bothered. Not having used a PE set before at this time I did not see that the PE representations of hinges from this maker(and others is inferior to the kits- they are basically flat! Goosh! (Bastardos):(

added the vision klappes as per kit.

an example of Eduards' finesse(?)

and a photo showing comparable barrels.

the dusty wheels that come with the kit.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:54 am

What I find interesting is going over my limited reference material and learning about the vehicle. I guess like all vehicles we model this one had many incarnations, that is early late, etc. Tamiya seems to have for the most part portrayed an early version with some later parts included as options. As my insight into this vehicle is an ongoing thing, some of the information has come to late(such as the vision ports on the turret- many operational pics show the type used on 234 and not the heavily hinged variety seen on the kit), there will most likely be errors or omissions on my build, but I'm not to worried- this is just for fun. I plan to do some aging and stowage to add interest. Still not sure if I want a gray vehicle or a desert one...

So progress was made adding Eduard's Zusatzfrontplatte to the front of the 232, replacing the kit's thick and softly detailed version. A definite improvement. But the fitting was a challenge and after soldering and muscling it into place I used some finishing body putty to smooth out the face of the armor. You can see in these progress shots I have chosen to replace the bullet splash guards and the rain run off channels above the vision ports.

I have also sanded down the JR gun barrel as there were distinct step marks from the milling process and it appears to me that they ought not have been there.

You can see the Eduard provided tie downs in place- a nice detail, but unfortunately they didn't include enough...

second coat of filler after sanding the first.

after sanding a very thin 3rd coat

after spraying with Mr. Surfacer 500 to see how it looks.

the primer coat showed me some flawed surface details that were sanded out.

the exhaust systems were filled were the kit's screen is meant to be glued , I'll be using the PE's version.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:54 am

This is the one I think I'll go for.
Interesting detail here is the from armour add-on is off the vehicle and thrown on the back. It would make a cool unique way off depicting the kit.

This pic comes from this edition of Allied-Axis

another one that has some pics

also these are useful

Anyone suggest any other books, or online photos?
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:55 am

Never have too much for references:thumb:
some e-bay finds

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:56 am

[QUOTE Image

One more James,

Rick[/QUOTE]
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:57 am

Got the Hussar wheels for this the other day- Thanks to The Barrel Store.

This is where I am at with this thing for now

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:57 am

I'm stuck at a can of worms I opened with respect to the Headlights. I honed them out now I need to figure out a way to make them look like the real deal.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Got some decals today made by Echelon- a perfect match for the one I want to portray.
This one will get done someday...
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dario Risso » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Just behind the width indicator and below the right vision port is a stain of...what? dust? paint? It appear over the lettering too

Cheers

Darío
Dario Risso

Next

Return to Armoured cars and wheeled armoured vehicles