[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Dragon Sd.Kfz. 7/1 2cm Flakvieling 38 auf Selbstfahrlafette

Dragon Sd.Kfz. 7/1 2cm Flakvieling 38 auf Selbstfahrlafette

Dragon Sd.Kfz. 7/1 2cm Flakvieling 38 auf Selbstfahrlafette

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Another old build started 04-25-2009 on the old web site- hope to finish this year sometime

Picked up one of these halftracks from Magicbox Hobbies yesterday

I wish to hell that Dragon would create a Sd.Ah.115 for us to use with the Prime mover version.

[QUOTE=whatifwhat;76208]Did the chassis in your kit have any warp?
Mine had a slight warp. I read that others have had more significan warp.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear that.
I'll tell you what, whatifwhat if you were to add your real name to your profile your allegation and claim of warped chassis parts would hold more validity. No offense intended Sir, it's just I mean you could just be trying to anonymously stir up some trouble and stir the pot. Do you think you could kindly add your real name?:)

In any case my chassis part is straight as can be.

Well I don't know about Terry's or any one else's I guess it's the luck of the draw. Sometimes these things happen, Someone was asking about the Tristar hull being warped on my Flak Panzer I project- his was warped, while I can testify mine wasn't.
Same here in this case.

Well I took the opportunity to go to the beach yesterday, and well, to pass the time i took the Sd.Kfz.7 along for company.
Here was the view.
[imghttp://panzerfaust.netfirms.com/armourworkshop.ca/blog_images/sdkfz_7_1/web_sdkfz_7_1_pt_1/workbench.jpg[/img]

and the "workbench"...

some shots of the frame as I progressed.

Here are some better shots under more controlled conditions.
Several items are only dry fit for a quick look.

Some update pics from the beach showing the parts that make up the front cab and bed.

Some in house shots...everything fits wonderfully

For those who still may think the Tamiya kit is okay- I wouldn't waste my time if I were you- if time is money the Tamiya one will end up costing you a fortune!:p

And to address you query Saul- these are just friction fitted. I think they would be the best option available when looking at what is out there.
The top left is the DML one, the one on the right a french aftermarket item meant for the Tamiya kit
bottom left - the Tamiya wheels and next to it I think that is the Tankwork shop resin copy.

Also compare the two tires at PMMS
It seems to me more work would be involved in sanding down the seam on the Trumpeter vinyl?

[QUOTE=sharkmouth;76304]Thanks James for the reply,

When the time comes and if there is a seam to fill, I am wondering how difficult it will be (the seam between the Polystyrene/Vinyl blend and the straight Polystyrene). I think this is the first time I see a seam placed on a part where it didn't fall on a natural gap.

I believe the French one is from Sinifer.

Regards,
Saúl[/QUOTE]

Time to start putting paint on this so as I can go on with attaching separate items. I pre-shaded with a primer coat of Humbrol oil based enamel reduced for the air brush with Humbrol thinner to get a smooth coat, (not pebbly if I was to use cellulose thinner) ;)
After this was dry I next used a Humbrol #73 for the primer base. This is a bit hotter than my usual #113- I have seen it this hot and thought I'd try something different. I plan on using some stop out (Vallejo) to get some cheeps here and there, mostly on the fenders.

In this pic you can see the drive wheel with the plastic cylinder at the centre. I decided to sand this thin and then remove, cleaned up the area and then glued the PE part that I soldered together (after annealing), in it's place. Dragon asks you to wrap this around the plastic tube at the centre of the out half of the wheel but this seemed a bit thick for my tastes. A minor adjustment that was fairly easily accomplished- but care needs to be taken so as not to botch it up. I had to trim slightly less than a millimetre to adjust the size of the centre PE cylinder, so as it would look in place of the plastic one.

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: Dragon Sd.Kfz. 7/1 2cm Flakvieling 38 auf Selbstfahrlafette

Postby Dario Risso » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Nice build, as always thumb5

It's neccesary to put the gearbox and the fuel tank? Or they will be oculted by the cab?

Darío
Dario Risso

Re: Dragon Sd.Kfz. 7/1 2cm Flakvieling 38 auf Selbstfahrlafe

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:01 am

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:20 am

Okay- this was stripped to the bone yesterday and I repainted after doing some gluing- will post some pics later. thumb6
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:20 pm

So here is a few shots showing the new livery. This grey is luscious and soooo nice. I am so happy with this paint!

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dario Risso » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Looks great, but...why you repainted it?

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:33 pm

So more progress shots of the Sdkfz. 7/1 from Dragon. The majority of the main parts for the body are glued in place and he fit was pretty good. As you can see the engine is not in anyway visible so my not paying much attention to it really is not an issue.
In this picture the area in white is where I ended up with a finger print from painting with the laquer- I'll have to touch that up.

The wheels were painted as well, the red primer on here was Vallejo Cavalry Brown. On the left side you can see the two replacements resin wheels from Voyager. They are a bit rough in a few areas were some of the sculpting around the rim seems a bit rough.

I've added some PE from the kit for the step and re done the drive wheel . The way it looks now with the PE re-glued and some filling looks way better.

I also decided to make the front drive wheels rotatable as the way DML has engineered the fit forces you to glue them in pace. However that will complicate the fitting of the tracks tremendously. This was remedied with a drilled out hole and a bit of brass rod.

The seam on these parts seems pretty obvious- I still have to check my refs to see if some filling is required.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Parts for the start of the gun

Here they have been glued together. I have replaced the kits grab bar on the on arm with some bras rod bent to the right shape.

the next set up shows the parts needed for the next step in the building of the Flak. As you can see I will be replacing the kit barrels with the top of the line replacement Adler's Nest items. All I needed o do was cut the end of the barrel off and drill a hole and with a tiny bit of glue insert the pin on the brass replacement.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Making good progress with this OOTB build.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Semi-tracked vehicles