[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Renault UE German Scout ~ Mirage (35307)

Renault UE German Scout ~ Mirage (35307)

Re: Renault UE German Scout ~ Mirage (35307)

Postby Roy Schlicht » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:55 am

I prime if I've done alot of extra scratch work or used alot of A.M. to give the kit a uniform starting point for painting. As for the dusty paint, you are right it is from the paint drying before it hits the model, but too high of airpressure can also cause this so keep that in mind as well. I usually paint around 8 psi but I've heard other people paint at around 14 psi. I never paint above 15. As for the glue, as long as it isn't melting the plastic it should clean up easily enough. I actually use MEK for model cement. It is alot cheaper than everything else and works just like Tamiya "extra thin". I bought a can of it about 3 years ago for about 5 bucks and still have 80% of it left. I fill up old empty Tamiya "extra thin" bottles that I wisely decided to keep after they were empty. I just fill them up when they get empty and move on. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation and don't leave the top off. Use it and put the top right back on. This prevents the fumes and also MEK evaporates quickly just like Tamiya "extra thin".

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Postby David Madsen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks for the tip Roy. I am actually using a spray bottle for the primer, so I don't have any control of the pressure. It seems the distance really cleared up the drying affect. With my airbrush however I do spray at about 10psi. As for the glue I am happy with the Pro Weld, I just need a better method of applying. I am using a syringe but I think it's too big. I was told a diabetic syringe would work well because it's so small, and through cohesion it would just attract right to the crack.

I've painted with a Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943 from Model Masters. Painted Gunmetal on the 34's and then rubbed with powdered graphite. Did the same with the muffler giving it a burnt look especially after I add a rust color wash and add some pigments.

I'm also working with getting suspension and wheels together. So far it is working out much better than expected. Also thinned the muffler guard and scribed the vents.

David Madsen

Postby Roy Schlicht » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:28 am

Hey Dave, good job so far. I have a couple of suggestions though before you get to much further. One, replace the MGs. They are really poorly cast. If you don't have replacements let me know and I'll gladly send you some. Two, replace the grab handles with ones formed from wire. They will look so much better. Three, the exhaust armored shroud (the armored elbow where it comes out of the hull right above the first return rollar) would probably be a darker color also as it would get very hot as well burning the paint off. Keep going. Once it's all done it will look great.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby David Madsen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:32 pm

David Madsen

Postby Roy Schlicht » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:49 am

PM me with your address and I'll send you a couple of barrels. I have a lot of them that are much better then those. It will really enchance the build. You will also not need to wait for them to continue as they could be placed on at the very end of your paint and weathering.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby David Madsen » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks Roy!

Started two more Mirage kits, 35518 and 25519, the German Stuka zu Fuss variants. I'm putting the scout car on hold and getting the other two caught up. Debating on having the scout car in a winter theme or just keeping it the dunkelgelb.

David Madsen

Postby David Madsen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Roy, I got those 34's, thanks much. I'll get those on soon.

So I've made progress with the launching mounts for the 28cm and 32cm rockets as well as the wooden cases.

David Madsen

Postby Roy Schlicht » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:19 am

Interesting. The only thing about those Mirage kits that I don't like besides the tracks are the sprockets. They are totally FUBAR. It might be worth trying to get replacements from Tamiya. The ones that Mirage provides really don't look like the real ones. I like the way those rocket launcher vehicles look though. May have to add one to my collection.

Roy
Roy Schlicht

Postby David Madsen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm just going to role with what I have, such a small little kit I'm good with how it is. Tried out some Color modulation starting with a black, and working layers but I think I mixed too much paint and made it too light. The pictures just go up to the Midtone of the german grey sprayed from above.

David Madsen

Postby Tim Coulson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:52 am

Looking good David. thumb6
Tim Coulson

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous fully tracked vehicles