[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Early version Morser on Railway transport

Early version Morser on Railway transport

Early version Morser on Railway transport

Postby Tim Gillis » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:47 am

It's a big box

And that's a good thing, cuase there ain't alot of room for air in there :mrgreen:

I started this one quit some time ago, but, like a lot of kits, it ended up back in the box in the back of the stash for quit awhile. Recently I've decided to pull it back out, at which point after looking at it it occurred to me that maybe I ought to start with the base so I would have something to set things on as I build it up, anyway, I thought I'd start this off with the build as it began and bring things up to date. I also happened to be mucking around with a Dragon Kublewagon at the same time

so there are a few pics of it mixed in, nothing spectacular to say the least.

Sanity is a matter of opinion
Tim Gillis

Re: Early version Morser on Railway transport

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:50 am

This is one that is sitting in my pile and it thumb6 will be good to see your progress Tim, as I haven't seen any build logs on this kit.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Gillis » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 pm

This one is going to take a while as I spend a lot of my time on the road sadface . I hadn't finished posting, but I wasn't sure if there was a space limit, so I thought I'd start a new one only to have things disappear off into cyberland to await your approval. Not complaining though, good way to eliminate a lot of garbage thumb5 I say.

Things are probably not looking to good with all the ejector pin marks, and there are a lot of them in not very good places in this part of the assembly. I've heard all the roomers about two different design teams at Trumpeter, one being sloppier then the other, in a way, this kit supports that, looking at the sprues, the carrier frame is the worst for soft moldings and ejector pin marks. the rail cars.....not so bad, still moldings are a bit on the soft side.

What you will notice, or not, is that the parts break down puts a jiont in the middle of what should be an angle iron brace, where I've tried to fill the gap with a gazzilion galons of Mr. surfacer(I've since discover the true value of Vallejo filler and alcohol ;woot: ) Also the layers of metal plates are not defined on the sides of the moldings, so I carefuly scribed the lines.

Now this is where all those ejector pin marks get realy annoying

Anyway, that's pretty much where things left off when it went back into the box
Tim Gillis

Postby Tim Gillis » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:24 pm

And here's where I've decided to pick things back up, this time around I figured maybe I oughta start build it from the ground up, so to speak. So I pulled all the bits out for the tracks. The molding on these is pretty much on par with an old airfix kit from worn out molds, I didn't take any pics, so I'll just say that there was a fair amount of clean up and filler required, and none of the "terrain" matches from on section to the next so a bit of gouging with a good knife along with some glue saturated filler is required to eliminate any perceivable join line through the "gravel".

The rails themselves have ejector pin marks all along one side which will be most difficult to fill, not a big issue, I suppose, unless one plans to mount it on a rotating base in the middle of a room like a piece of pricey artwork wss.

One other issue is that some of the "gravel" interferes with the rails and needs to be cut down.

I decided that I wanted that "concrete" look to the base, so after checking through some model rairoad sights for idea as to how to create a realistic look about the only thing I could find is that concrete has no real consistent look about it, it varies relative to it's ingreedients, age, etc. so I decided to go with something like this appearance wise. This is a piece of the wall next to the area where the Shwerer Gustav was test fired.

First I gave the base an overall coat of light grey, then some random spray of Flat black

Next I oversprayed it with a dirty white mixture with some light green tinting. The green tint proved to be useless in the end, so next time I won't bother with it.

Next I gave it a couple of washes of a light brown, in this case I chose Vallejo's old wood, streaking it downward

After which I gave it another several washes of Vallejo's Dark green, following the same streaking pattern, and then ground up some light grey pastel and rubbed it in with my finger.

So this is where it's at at the moment.
Tim Gillis

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:47 am

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Gillis » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Here's a little update, sorry, my picture taking technique isn't the greatest cry . This could take awhile............... ;B;
Tim Gillis

Postby Dario Risso » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Interesting (and BIG) project, Tim!
Waiting for updates

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Tim Gillis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Hey Dario, sorry it's taking such along time to post something, but I'm going stir crazy #^( painting rocks, so I'm splitting between that and murdering a couple of airplane kits wss. on another forum to break up the monotony. I'm going to locate an Eduard set for this, and once the rocks are done the real building ;B; shall commence thumb5
Tim Gillis

Postby Tim Gillis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Work has commenced on this once agian, when I'm up to the challenge I will post some progress. ,:>
Tim Gillis

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Oh good! Look forward to the next instalment.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Miscellaneous fully tracked vehicles