Early version Morser on Railway transport

Re: Early version Morser on Railway transport

Postby Tim Gillis » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Ok, to pick up where I left off, basically I ran out of steam trying to paint my base so I'm not sure wether I'll try something different, or go back to finnishing it this way

So I decided to go ahead and start the on the trucks. There is a front and rear assembly, but there are only 2 things different, being the mounting bracket for the bar which is used to keep these units together when the Mortar is not being carried, and a cover on the top plate. Now Trumpeter would have you assemble all the springs and brake assembles on each side plate before attaching them to the top, Givin the amount of delicate pieces involved and some piant coverage issues I don't think this is the best plan, so I after looking things over it is obvious that one can assemble the side and end plates to the top and add all the fiddly bits later. On the first car I did add all the inside bits, of course I broke a few, on the second one I'm just going to do them later.

There is a fair amount of clean up involved in these parts from mold seem and ejector pins

I decided the best place to start is the mounting bracket for the bar, as this requires to ole to be punched in one of the sides,part A-3, and part G-3 glued in. Trumpeter would have you do this later on, but if one wants to be sure any gaps can be filled that is not a good idea.

Next it's a good idea to install Parts G-4 and 5.

If you don't you will have a bit of an indent where the side attach to the top which is a bit difficult to fill in if you want a smooth join. Of course I forgot to do this on the first set.

These are a very tight fit requiring a slight amount cleaned off of each end for them to pop into place, the mating surface on these parts is very ruff looknig like someone gouged out the upper plate around the ejector pins, so there is a bit of scraping involved i getting them to sit flat.

But once they are in place the look good and although there is a tiny gap, this should hardly be noticable once everything is painted.

Everything fits together well once the parts are cleaned up, for all the suspension pieces the fit is a bit sloppy but this is not a bad thing as there is quit bit of leeway when it comes to lining things up and the axles don't need to be glued to the springs so getting things to line up and sit flat won't be a problem. The lip that the sides and end butts up agianst is slightly beveled so it's just a matter of butting the side agianst the bottom of the lip and keeping the ribs flat to the mating surface and all will be square.

The lip the end piece butts up to is also beveled a bit and needs to be shaved down to get a flush fit. I think that this part was a single flat piece wich was welded on the end on the real thing so I'm going to fill in all the seems.
Sanity is a matter of opinion
Tim Gillis

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Glad to see this going again, :Y)
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Gillis » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:47 pm

I have to say that this kit is a mixed bag of crisp or soft molding, flash, sink/ejector pin marks, and missing or excellent details, sometimes all on one piece. The outer ends with the railings is a good example of this.

The indents are on the opposite side of the buffers and I seriously doubt that they existed on the real thing, the problem is that the extend to the outside and are visible.

so I decided to fill them in and add some bolt detial, I doubt that this is acurrate either in the end, but to my mind it is not so obviously flawed. Also missing is 2 of the mounting brackets for the railings which I added.

Not perfect but good enough for my taste

This is the base for the main support that attach to the Morter, I have no idea what someone was thinking in the design of some of the parts, but the to side pieces with the gear boxes is a bit wonky, the inside of the part bevels outward after the area it attaches to the "box", where as the 2 longer end pieces bevel inwards. I've cleaned things up but there is still a big gap, not so easily seen in this pic. I've decided to glue things in place and fill the gaps with super glue, carefully, and scribe the line after some careful clean up. I decided to do it this way because certian molding flaws in the main box will become more obvious the thinner the part is, but that's just me.

This is just down right ugly, this is the underside of the top of the box, fortunately?

Here it is set in place, the piece on top slides and is held in place by some strips glued on top. To get a good finnish is going to require some pre painting but nothing serious.

Not very clear in this pic, but the latches and hinges are very poorly represented, is there a good etch set out there to fix this?

I've also come across some spare parts, this is sprue D, there are 2 sprue D's so there are 4 parts 21 and 22, you only need 2 of each. What appears to be a folded up step are the only parts supplied in the eduard set that is for the Transport Rail cars, I would rather have had the hinges and latches personaly.

Tim Gillis

Postby Tim Gillis » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:18 pm

At the risk of getting my pinkies slapped I thought I'd post the pics I have of the rail transport ( for discussion proposes only, of course)

These 2 are of ODINE according to the caption

The only reference I have at the moment is Wydanictwo 281 which I'm going to take to work and read this week, if anyone has anything they can add all will be greatly appreciated.
Tim Gillis

Postby Tim Gillis » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:34 pm

One I missed posting and since I can't edit it

Tim Gillis

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:48 pm

Great! Just great- and nice BW Ebay pics.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Roy Schlicht » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:31 am

Interesting project. I have the CMK resin beasties (both mortar and ammo carrier) but they are still in the box and I really don't think I will ever get to them. Would consider doing one of the plastic ones wether it be Dragon or Trumpeter. Like to see an update on this one.

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous fully tracked vehicles