[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Jagdtiger Sd. Kfz. 186 - older DML offering

Jagdtiger Sd. Kfz. 186 - older DML offering

Jagdtiger Sd. Kfz. 186 - older DML offering

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Another older build- still in process and in the storage but will get done someday!

From 05-24-2006

Well to ease back into some model building after being away for a couple of months, I have decided to work on this kit which I have had on the back burner for years. It presented itself to me at my storage locker today in a separate box from all the other kits which are buried there for awhile. So hopefully I can finish this one and learn stuff along the way. Now I wonder what after market items and books I may have bought for this one... hmmm. (Man I gotta get back into the swing of things

As for the aftermarket things I found this Lion Roar set in the box. I have come to look at Lion Roar askance because the accuracy of the fittings is somewhat simplified. But I will use it here for people to see it in action. Is the set even available any more. Any ways some shots of the instructions.

while I still try to find a paint job to do, I'll just go ahead and start cleaning up some parts. The wheels all need to have the sprue attachment points cut flush and then the mold seam needs to go away as well. The Hull is pretty good except on the bottom of the tub there is some sink marks... as no one will ever see underneath this model..I'm just going to leave them.
There is a very tricky clean up on the swing arm sprue attachment points, you need to really be careful and do a little sculpting to make sure you don't cut the top flat which is the wrong profile.
I may just use the combat tracks that come with the kit, apparently they are not that bad... big clean up job there though... :lol:
Step 1 and 2.

Here is my new temporary work table.

The two on the right are clean-up

swing arms, the ones on the right are good to go.

drive wheels

the hull side

got my work cut out for me here..
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: Jagdtiger Sd. Kfz. 186 - older DML offering

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Before I go on too much further a list of the books I have in reference to the Jagtiger.
There will most likely be additions as this goes along.

Some work done with the front end of things
The front fenders will need to be sawed off in preparation for the Aber replacements.

to the lower hull the front bits where the final drive housing sit are added. There is a rather large gap which remains to be filled in using some automotive finishing putty, which I will sand down once it cures well over night.

the joint in the front aspect also will require some work , this time a weld bead will need to be administered to bring it into the realms of the real deal.

some pics of the Tiger II at Munster I took will demonstrate this weld.
click this one for a larger image

and one from the Abedeen Jagdtiger

this is what I did in the back, using stretched sprue glued in place and then worked over with an X-acto knife and several applications between mincings of Testors liquid cement.

also some work done on the engine cover plate which isn't totally done yet. The bolt hole needed drilling out but some touch up will be required.

and the flange on the body was drilled out as well.

Here is a link to some good images

a couple show the engine bay. Of course the colour here is not authentic but good reference in any case for the mechanics. As I will need to paint my engine bay soon to keep on with this build, any suggestions/research regarding the proper colouring of the area and engine. I'm thinking red primer walls with a black engine (with metallic colours here and there). Maybe the air filter units are white?

Well I was watching the Monaco F1 race and it came to me that the Tiger II tracks from Model Kasten might not fit because the Jagdtiger had a longer hull so... I guess either I can go with the Fruilmodel set which should have enough links as they always give plenty of extras, unlike stingy MK
or I could order a set of Model Kasten
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Return to Panzerkampfwagen VI and variants