[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Tamiya Sd.Kfz.171 Panther Ausf.G Late (Remote Control)

Tamiya Sd.Kfz.171 Panther Ausf.G Late (Remote Control)

Tamiya Sd.Kfz.171 Panther Ausf.G Late (Remote Control)

Postby Tim Coulson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:34 am

This remote control kit includes the same parts, minus the lower hull, as the static Panther G Late. See here for parts. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=398#p2087

Also included is a new lower hull, drive sprockets, idlers and some of the road wheels, plus the necessary electronics and gearboxes to bring the tank to life.

It would have been great if the suspension was workable, but as can be seen from the photos, there isn't room for a full torsion bar suspension system.

New Parts

Gearboxes, Motors, Screws & Controller.

Fitting the battery connectors and nuts & screws for adjusting the idlers.

On/Off switch and battery connectors fitted.

Next stage is to grease and install the drive gearboxes and the turret motor.

This is as far as I've got this afternoon. I will also be adding the Show Modelling etch set, Friulmodel Tracks and Aber Grills and Gun Barrel to this kit.

Tim
Last edited by Tim Coulson on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tim Coulson

Re: Tamiya Sd.Kfz.171 Panther Ausf.G Late (Remote Control)

Postby Tim Coulson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Installation of control unit and turret motor supports.

Installation of gearboxes.

I reduced the turret support screw mounts by half, as they don't need to be this large.

They are much less noticable now, without compromising the mounts. I still need to milliput the saw marks.

Installed batteries and gave everything a quick test. Everything works fine.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:44 am

let it roll !
lol.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Tim Coulson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:44 pm

I've been working on correcting the front of the hull, using Laurent's info & photos (thanks), Larry Bates build on Planet Armor http://planetarmor.com/forums/showthrea ... 95&page=22 , and the Panzer Tracts book on the Panther G as reference.

Progress so far on the front of the hull.

I've filed down the glacis plate and removed the driver's periscope guard.

Used paper thin plastic card to extend and thicken the hull roof, as shown in the Panzer Tracts book.

I still need to enlarge the "u" cutout below the driver's periscope and create the weld seam between the hull roof and glacis.

Other Progress:

New part that replaces the breech to hold a magnet. The magnet attaches to the shaft, in the center of the turret gearbox, to control barrel elevation.

Drilled out the exhaust pipe, original part shown for comparison.

Aber barrel components.

Detail inside the muzzle brake.

That's all for now.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Darren Gawle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Nice work on the glacis, Tim - if you're interested in taking it further, the Tamiya driver's periscope base is undersized and should really be replaced too. Check it against the drawings in Panzer Tracts 5.3 if you've got it.

DG
Darren Gawle

Postby Tim Coulson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:55 pm

Tim Coulson

Postby Tim Coulson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Dry fit of main parts, before the super detailing begins! :panzer1:

Most parts fit extremely well apart from the loader's periscope guard and the "A" shaped rest on the engine hatch.

I've decided to use the Aber etch set, as it includes periscopes for the commander's coppola. Strangely these are not included in the kit! :-?

I will attempt to build a correct driver's periscope and armoured guard on the rear deck.

Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Tim
Last edited by Tim Coulson on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Coulson

Postby Tim Coulson » Thu May 12, 2011 7:05 am

Just a quick update to show some of the extras that I will be adding to this model.

I will add build updates as soon as possible.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Tim Coulson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:45 pm

A few photos showing the recent progress I have made on the Panther.

I have only been able to make a little progress here and there so no major changes yet.

Progress on the turret. I have fitted a RB Models MG34 barrel tip for the co-axial machine gun.

I have drilled out around the co-axial MG using reference photos as a guide. Note the main barrel is not secured in place yet.

Turret and mantlet mounted on hull. Note that I have enlarged the "U" shape cutout below the driver's periscope using the Panzer Tracts drawings as a guide.

It looks a little rough from this angle as it hasn't been filled in behind yet. It does look smooth when viewed from the front.

View inside the turret showing the magnet attached to the turret motor shaft. This controls barrel elevation.

I have also attached the Nahverteidigungswaffe (close-in defense weapon) on the roof. I still need to blend the mantlet into the turret.

Dry fit of Aber's etched mesh screens.

Note that I have drilled out the bolt heads on the rear of the engine deck as they weren't molded properly. (See photo below) I will use etched bolt heads to replace the molded ones.

I have also removed the four bolt heads around the aerial base. There should only be three. I have attached the replacement bolts but I knocked two off with handling the upper hull.

Unmodified kit hull.

BTW I contacted Friulmodel about the tracks not being handed. I had a response that the Friul links are only one sided. This is annoying as the real panther tracks are different. I will experiment on some of the links, that have air holes, by drilling them all the way through, plugging the end with putty and inserting a pin from the other side to make the tracks handed.

Thanks for looking, more updates as soon as I am able to make some more progress.

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Good to see an update Tim-one thing I wonder about is that the pics look a bit "blown out" that is overexposed? I wonder if a shorter exposure would take away some of the almost glare? Or maybe you like this style (kinda 2001 Space Odyssey -THX 1138 like)- which in that case no problem, just wondering.
Have you tried "bracketing"?
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Panzerkampfwagen V and variants