[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Panzer IV Ausf.J (frühe)

Panzer IV Ausf.J (frühe)

Panzer IV Ausf.J (frühe)

Postby Dario Risso » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi people; I'm starting this Tamiya's 35181 kit; but ...man, there is not many pics of the early Ausf.J :evil: May be I will make an Ausf.H, there is a lot of pics of them.

So, I'm looking for pics of this vehicles: white 806 or red 723

I'm not interested in the 3rd scheme proposed by Tamiya, black 1032, because, as stated in an old magazine, Military Model Preview, that vehicle carries hollow track guide theet.

I've checked the following books, looking for those pìcs:

Sd.Kfz.161 Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf. G-H-J - Trojca 20
Panzer Tracts 04
Pzkpfw IV Ausf.G, H and J 1942-45 - Osprey New Vanguard 39
PzKpfw IV in Action - Squadron 2012
The Pzkfw. IV Med.Tank 1939-1945 - Squadron 6081
Armes Militaria HS 01 - Les Panzer en Normandie
Panzers En Normandie 1 - 39-45 Serie Historica
Panzer IV & its variants - Schiffer

I'm more interested in red 732, because it's painted in the 3 colors scheme

Thanks

Darío
Last edited by Dario Risso on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dario Risso

Re: Panzer IV...Ausf.J, I guess

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi Dario.
We have some pics around of Normandy - era early Js.
Here's one of them.

this one is (or so I seem to remember ) from Das Reich.

Note the Zimmerit which is exactly as on ausf Hs.
Also there are a few "issues" with the Tamiya kit ... need more informations about that ?

Now about the decorations Tamiya offers I confess I'm not totally confident ...

I am not sure "1032" is a J as you can see looking at the rear plate and the little muffler. If you look at the idler wheel you can bet this is one early to mid H no surprise it can be seen with hollowed out guide teeth. Yet I must say ih these guys from the magazine are able to tell this bugger does have this kind of tracks I'm bewildered at the fact that they didn't notice this was not a J !

"806" seems like a weird number for a Panzer in Normandy. Of course we know of the Stab Panzers with irregular numbers in order to deceive the ennemy and here's one of them :

But for some reasons I'd make another choice if I were you ... hopefully we have good old "723" :

Seen on the road from Falaise to Caen after the pocket was closed. Now practice your homework about which unit got stucked inside this Falaise pocket.

Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:31 pm

Hey ... how come the last pic is reduced without notice ?
i hadda edit it :

Sorry.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Dario Risso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Dario Risso

Postby Markus Lack » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Looking forward to this Dario!
Markus Lack

Postby Dario Risso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Danke Markus!
I like how looks this one, by spanish modeler Antonio Martín T.

http://www.afvplanet.com/galeria/pziv/index.html

And I like this set, too:

http://www.mbltd.info/3536.htm

So, I made my attempt with foliage (the Pz IV J late is just for the test):

I will use Monroe Perdu's "Normandy well" too

http://www.monroeperdu.com/pgcart.pga?product=MPD-008

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:31 pm

So, will you do "732" ?
The fact that the paint scheme doesn't match what Tamiya San says is no big surprise ...
Not much can be seen but you can go with large green and brown patches. It is a safe bet.
Now I hear you prefer "from the box" so I won't bother you with small details. Not unless you ask for them.
:D
I'd modify two things if I were you : the front plate (which is wrong in its lower part) and the turret bullet guard ring ...
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Dario Risso » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 am

Yes..in fact...723 (lapsus digit in my first post) It will not be totally OOB, I can't made that, it's stronger than me :D
I planned to make the usual updates: chains in towing pins, mudguard springs, Bosch wire, thinnig of schürtzen brackets, zimmerit (with Milliput), tools clamps, cupola drain holes, may be some extra tracks added....and the 2 you mention (but I don't get it...I would take a look to scale drawings to clarify)

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Dario Risso » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Well, let me see if I understand what Laurent pointed:
1) .... the front plate (which is wrong in its lower part)
The wrong part is that marked with the red rectangle? Why it is wrong? I guess it need a suplementary plate

2) ...and the turret bullet guard ring.
It is too thick?

Thanks for your responses

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Neither nor ...
Dario.
What's wrong with the bullet guard is the way it is fixed to the roof.
The small parts that hold it should be inside not outside.
Here's a pic of an old project (that ended up in the trash can but is good enough for the purpose).

This is how the brackets are without the ring on :

Also the front plate is too short by one millimetre so you should add one thin plasticard strip.

You end up with this result :

Yes I admit this is nitpicking with the front plate but on the real tank the "gap" is rather obvious compared to one early - mid Ausf H.

From the back of my memory the fenders need re-engraving too on the foremost part.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Next

Return to Panzerkampfwagen IV and variants