[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Cyberhobby Panzerjäger Sd.Kfz. 164 Nashorn

Cyberhobby Panzerjäger Sd.Kfz. 164 Nashorn

Re: Cyberhobby Panzerjäger Sd.Kfz. 164 Nashorn

Postby John Mohnen » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:51 am

The Cyberhobby kit hull doesn't has the windows for the Fans and radiators. The AFV kit seems to be geared to be used for an interior built.
20110825Radio Fans-3.jpg
I had to cut out the halve was is included in the kit hull to be replaced with some styrene
20110825Radio Fans-2.jpg
This is the template before glueing in place
20110825Radio Fans-7.jpg
Test fitted the piece in the hull before filing the windows.
20110825Radio Fans-9.jpg
Glued the part in the hull side and aligned with goon platform
20110826Radio Fans-4.jpg
Wil need to do the same for the opposite side where the radiator is located
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Mohnen

Postby John Mohnen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:39 am

The AFV detail kit includes the wall bracket for the fans but not the fans itself.
In the CMK kit the Fans and bracket is included.
The brown bracket is from the AFV kit while the resin part is from the CMK Kit.
20110825Radio Fans-4.jpg
Here is a comparison photo from a hummel restoration.
NB10 Fans 2.jpg
As you can see the AFV bracket is more accurate than the CMK one which is from a STUG engins compartment.
I decided to use the bracket from the AFV kit with the fans from the CMK kit.
Here are two views, the second shows a different angle for the STUG part.
20110826Radio Fans.jpg
20110826Radio Fans-3.jpg
Here a picture with the Fans attached. The drive shaft is not included so I drilled a hole in the axis gearbox and used a steel wire with some alu tubing to scratch built the shaft.
20110826Radio Fans-2.jpg
The outer end will be connected to a shaft with drive wheel mounted on the rear firewall which is belt driven by the engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Mohnen

Postby John Mohnen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:48 am

Going to the other side i scractchbuilt from some brass the bottom support bar for the radiators.
20110825Radio Fans-17.jpg
20110825Radio Fans-19.jpg
The radiators were mounted in pairs at an angle to the wall as shown on this diagram from the Nashorn Dienstvorschrift.
This dienstvorschrift is full of useful info special for info on the engine compartment.
Nashorn Cooling.jpg
The top support is an t-bar between front and rear firewall
I used a piece of wire here to temporary testfit the radiators.
20110826Radio Fans-10.jpg
And here a view from the top.
20110826Radio Fans-14.jpg
More detailing will be added at a later stage.
John Mohnen

Postby John Mohnen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:06 am

Started with the radio equipment. I got the Aber PE set which includes a full set to be used in german AFV's. The set includes a Fu05 set (10W transmitter and UKW receiver), Panzerkasten 20 (Intercom Box) and various smaller Panzerkasten (Junction Boxes). Detailed info with schematics for various vehicles ( Panzer III & IV, Stug, Panthjer and Tigerr Tanks). Some of the parts are fiddly and some experience with PE is a bonus. It was one of my first experiences with PE and made me realize my eyesight is not anymore as good as it ones was. After a lot of cursing I managed to get some reasonable results and compared with the Transformers included in the AFV kit I found them still an improvement.
Here are some pics of the Umformer (Inverters) for the Receiver.
20110817Radio Fans-3.jpg
The one in Brown is from the AFV kit and I included it to show the difference in detail, the frame with the wingnuts is the mounting frame.
Here is the one for the transmitter which is more a square shape.
20110817Radio Fans-6.jpg
In regards to the location of the radio gear I haven't manage to gather any information where what was installed. I have various layouts for a Panzer III, Panzer IV or STUG layout and if I have to make a decision I am leaning toward the Panzer III locations. I am trying to locate a copy of the Dienstvorschrift (D653-45) which deals with the radiogear installed in the Nashorn. If anyone knows who has a copy or where I can get the info any help would be appreciated. There are only two Nashorn left today ( APG Aberdeen and Kubinka) and I don't know if trhey hold any info. It looks like the one in the APG proving ground has a large granate hole in the front plate so I am wondering maybe someone made some pics thru this hole from the Radio operator side. Any help or pictures of this area would be greatly apprerciated.

The powerdistribution box (Kasten Z23) I made from a square capacitor with some aber nuts on top and bottom for the cable glands. The main power cable came directly from the Main Batteryswitch and was routed thru conduit. I still have to install the wiring and conduit but here are some pics from the test fit.
20110823Radio Fans-11.jpg
20110825Radio Fans-14.jpg
Well this was the progress from this side. Best weekend wishes from this side and I hope to upload some more progress soon.
John Mohnen

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:16 am

Excellent!! this is very motivating work you have going on here- gives us all something to aim at.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby John Mohnen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:26 am

After a busy time finally some time for the project.
Found in the Dienstvorschrift that there were two 12Volts batteries located in the engine compartment, One was for normal use while the second battery was switched in series with the first one during startup of the engine supplying 24 Volt to the starter. This was achieved with a series/paralell switch which was mounted on the starboard hull wall. I made some batteries from some scrap material and testfitted them in situ. Maybe look a bit odd now but once painted I hope it will resemble the real thing.
Here are some pics.
20110902untitled-14.jpg

20110902untitled-9.jpg

20110902untitled-11.jpg

Also added the two support beams which were located in the engine compartment. The one close to the front firewall consisted of two short runs while the one close to the rear firewall run from hull side to hull side. The sloped top and bolt support as seen in the driver compartment need to be added at a later date. Also the front support brackets for the engine are installed.

20110902untitled-13.jpg
John Mohnen

Postby John Mohnen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:37 am

Added some extra detail to the engine.
Here the short oil filler pipe with dipstick and the front lifting hook.
20110902untitled-18.jpg
Followed by a scratch built coupling with drive shaft which connected to the transmission.
20110902untitled-17.jpg
added some piping as seen on wartime pics to the engine.
20110902untitled-21.jpg
Here the rear of the engine where some piping was added
20110902untitled-22.jpg
Followed by the first set of V-Belts which connected crankshaft, dynamo and waterpump.
20110902untitled-19.jpg
More detailing will be added at a later stage. (Electrical leads etc)
John Mohnen

Postby John Mohnen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:45 am

Testfitted various parts of the engine compartment which slowly starts filling up. Smaller items as electrical boxes and leads to be added at later stage.
View from frond firewall
20110902untitled-3.jpg
and from the rear firewall
20110902untitled-5.jpg
Topview
20110902untitled.jpg
Some other angles
20110902untitled-6.jpg
20110902untitled-7.jpg
John Mohnen

Postby John Mohnen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:04 am

I was anxious if my old spray gun still would do the job, I haven't use it for about 10 years and gave the hull a coating of red primer. Amazing the needle still had movement in it but I believe i better start looking for a replacement.
2011-09-26 16.07.33.jpg
added the ventilation flaps which were located at the port inlet window. the flaps were operated from the driver compartment and could adjust the outlet air supply into the engine compartment. Added the overflow pipe from the radiators which will be connected to the radiators when they will be fitted at a later stage.
2011-09-26 16.11.09.jpg
2011-09-26 16.10.31.jpg
Added the top on the double waffle armour plates of the rear firewall. The inner wall was only 3/4 in side. The exhausts exit on both hull sides between the two plates.
Added the sloping side plates to the firewall.
2011-09-26 16.09.20.jpg
Glued the airfilter in place.
2011-09-26 16.08.38.jpg
John Mohnen

Postby John Mohnen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:24 am

Scratch built Idler adjuster which was located inside the hull from screw, some washers, tubing and nyloc with a support bracket.
Added some support in the center as shown in some wartime manufacturing pics. believe this was to strengthen rear wall at the towing hook which was located at the exterior.
2011-09-29 12.16.30.jpg
Added the hose to the air filter which will be connected to air inlet on top of engine. Also added some nut heads to the top Armour plate of the rear firewall
2011-09-29 12.16.50.jpg
Temporary fitting o the fuel tanks and one of the floor plates
2011-09-29 12.27.56.jpg
Test fitted rear tool box which is included in the voyager brass detail set.
2011-09-29 12.29.00.jpg
Added fuel tank lids with latches, added some of the lifting handles to the floor plates and added support brackets to the hull walls to support the floor plates.
2011-10-06 10.40.07.jpg
John Mohnen

PreviousNext

Return to Panzerkampfwagen IV and variants