[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - StuH Ausf F (Russia -Dec 42).

StuH Ausf F (Russia -Dec 42).

StuH Ausf F (Russia -Dec 42).

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:29 am

StuH Ausf F.

Hi guys.
It’s been a long time since I last posted on this forum. Let’s say I was fed up a bit with modelling and more interested in playing the guitar. Anyway this summer brought new desires and new projects. One of them beein one StuH of the Ausf F « vorserien » self propelled 10,5 cm howitzer. The prototype was built using one stuG III Ausf E and nine pre-series vehicles were built on StuG III Ausf F hulls that were sent back from the front to the factory for major repair. The design proved to be so successful a series was later built using Ausf G hulls. I decided to use whichever kit was available in my vault, namely the old DML #6033 kit. This kit is old and suffers from the comparison with the new smart kits yet I still think that with a minimal amount of work the result can be, at least to my standards, almost as good looking. I also decided to use the old Lion Roar E35048 PE set. Again a bit old with many oer sized parts but still good enough for what I had in mind.
Then came my favorite part : researching this rare SP gun. Hilary Doyle was, as usual, of great help but I must say that some other friends’ contribution was far from being negligible and if I may brag a bit around the forum, led to an important ( ??? ) discovery. When I started my research only three pics were known. Two (almost the same) showed one StuH with soldiers around, the StuH painted white over the grey base coat and « wearing » Winterketten, a third one showing the same StuH from a distance with no one around in a snow covered scenery.

That was about it. But when I started posting on my usual French forum someone posted a pic to discuss the possible fact that these weren’t painted grey. The pic, aleady published in some book by Trojca seemed to show some StuG IIIs Ausf F somewhere in Russia. Obviously these weren’t grey but … when closely looking at the pic we discovered that a few of the StuG Ausf Fs in the column were in fact StuH Ausf Fs. I share the pic with you and you’ll see that this is a much customized version compared to the one I chose for my model. It might inspire some of you …

This one has a non regular stuH muzzle brake yet it seems to be one regular 10,5 artillery muzzle brake as seen on the Saumue Wespe.

Back to the kit now gentlemen.
This kit is far from being flawless. First it is based on one Ausf E so the driver/loader front plate is not of the correct shape.
As it is :
As it should be :
a few conical bolts are missing so I scratch built them :

The added armor plates typical of the late Ausf Fs also had to be added :

The towing cables brackets are a pity but the Lion Roar parts are too big so I left the kit as it was since the engine deck will most certainly be covered with a lot of stuff.

The real down point of the kit is the mudguards. One can’t build them without destroying the anti-skid pattern. One pic shows snow on the mudguards so I won’t cry but this means it’s almost impossible to built a decent ausf E or F without using after market fenders.
So here we are now …

Looking at these pics I see flaws that will have to be fixed such as the driver’s visor which is too thin and some others that will have to remain un fixed such as the gun cleaning rods brackets offered by Lion Roar which hold only three rods when there should be four … I’ll live with it.
The build is now only 95% and I still have to add smal details so … if you guys see some mistakes or overlooked details please fell free to say so before it’s too late.
Of course the 10.5 gun will be added using the one from the DML #9058 unless someone can point at good after market gun barrel and period-correct muzzle brake …
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Re: StuH Ausf F (Russia -Dec 42).

Postby Dario Risso » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:54 am

Very nice job, Laurent! I had no idea about the existence of the StuH F :shock:
It is a befehlswagen? (2 aerials)
The only "mistake" I can see is in pic "stuhausfF-10", the added armor below the Notek light seems to be a little misaligned.
Best regards
Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:27 pm

Dario. Thanks for your comment.
No StuHs were Befehls. I haven't sorted this antenna issue yet. These old Stugs versions always had two antenna racks and two antenna bases or so it seems ... stay tuned.
You are right the assed armor looks misaligned ... I'll have to re-work on them anyway as the one on the loader's front plate is not of the correct shape.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi guys. I take it the building will be finished today. The only details missing are the small chains for the towing hooks but this'll be added later and I have to upgrade the added armor plates and it's the base coat of grey paint. Pics available by the end of the day I hope.
Yet I had to get rid of the "antennas issue" so here's the result of my active research. Each Ausf F (or F8 or G for that matter) left the factory with two antenna bases. The various radio equipment was added later on.
According to K.A.N.446a all StuG in the Batterie were outfitted with an Fu16 (sender and receiver) mounted on the right side.
Only the 3 Zugfuehrer had a both an Fu16 mounted on the right side and a Fu15 (receiver set) mounted on the left side.
The Batteriechef had an Fu 8, Fu16 and Fu15
So one of the StuH in each Zug should have an Fu15 and Fu16 with two antenna and two StuH in each Zug should have an Fu16 with one antenna on the right rear (as shown in your attached photo).
Normally a StuH was not used by a Batteriechef. The StuH on the pic I posted than has the regular Fu16 on the right side and the un used antenna base on the left side.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:32 am

update : a disaster as I can't take the front plate added armor off. Usually scratch built parts do not stau very well glued on models but that one does. Bummer. Any suggestions ?
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Jamie Tainton » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 am

Use one of those large curved edge XActo blades and "sculpt" it off and then fill if necessary- not a complete disaster. Just take a breath and count to 11 and then take a look at it. Don't rush into anything.
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dario Risso » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am

So...there was StuH with 2 aerials?! :shock:
To take the front armor, "paint" the join with a brush moistened with turpentine, the worst brand you can buy, those that take a week or so to dry; let it act for 10 minutes and the try to take off the part as Jaimie pointed.
Hope it helps
Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Jamie Tainton » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 pm

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:33 pm

OK, will try asap. It's a shame because I made a new armor plate (loader's front plate) which is 200% better than the old one so I have to also upgrade the other one.
To Dario : yes, as I said, some StuH had two active antennas ... plus sometimes the units modified their vehicles by adding extra radio sets even when not "required by law" ... but these were not "Befehls" as we understand it.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby sergio laurenzano » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:59 pm

my only doubt is with the poles for clean the 10.5cm ..if 2 pieces are or should be necessary 3. the reworked old dragon kit look very well laurent thumb3
Sergio Laurenzano
Neuquen-Patagonia Argentina
sergio laurenzano

Next

Return to Panzerkampfwagen III and variants