[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - StuIG 33B - Stalingrado, 1943

StuIG 33B - Stalingrado, 1943

StuIG 33B - Stalingrado, 1943

Postby Dario Risso » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:04 pm

I start this project days ago: I have an old sIG 33 , aka Bison III, ref, Dragon 6042; it is partially built, except the tracks and tools.
As you probably know, 24 of theese Stuginfanteriegeschütz 33B was built by Alkett, using repaired StuG III chassis (maybe Ausf. E and/or F). 12 of them was sent to Stalingrad in november 1942. Just 1 still remains in Kubinka Museum.
Searching for info, I found this picture:
And of course, it shock me instantly: I need to display a Bf 109 downed in Stalingrad; I search in eBay for a Revell Bf 109, but the ones I found don't send to Argentina, so... let's scracht; I'm a little lazy, so I will build only a wing partially destroyed.
Here is how I receive the kit, from a friend:

After some details added I paint it panzergrau and then I add some highlight

I start thew 109 wing using a balsa core and cover it with plasticard:

I made the rivets using the back of an insuline needle, put in a pin vise; they are hardly visible in the pics, sorry

More tomorrow
Darío

Reference Material

Books
1) Sturmgeschütz & its variants - Walter L.Spielberger - Schiffer
2) Achtung Panzer 5 - Stug III, Stug IV & siG33 - Dai Nippon Kaiga
3) Sturmtiger & Sturmpanzer in Combat - Waldemar Trojca, Markus Jaugitz - Trojca
4) Modelling the German 15cm sIG33 Bison and Grille - Gary Edmunson - Osprey Modelling 19
5) Sturmgeschütz - s.Pak to Sturmmoerser - Panzer Tracts 08 - Thomas Jentz, Hilary Doyle - Darlington Productions
6) 15cm sIG33 (Sf) auf PzKpfw I II III - Wydawnictwo Militaria 247

Webpages
1) 20 campaing pictures
2) Pictures of the Kubinka vehicle
3)
Dario Risso

Re: StuIG 33B - Stalingrado, 1943

Postby Christopher Wright » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Darío,
I like where this is going. Your BF109 wing looks quite good! i like the AFV too! I look forward to seeing the progress!
Christopher
Christopher Wright

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:58 pm

You alsways look like you're having fun Dario, wish I could do that! cry ;woot:
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby John Mohnen » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Interesting and promising combo
Looking forward to the build
John Mohnen

Postby Dario Risso » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks guys!
Well, lets see how this go
Painting Step 2:
2 coats of acrilic floor polish
decals
2 more coats of floor polish, covering only the decals
2 coats of hairspray
1 coat of Tamiya XF-2
rubbed with differents brushes in different zones, to achieved no similar effects, using more or less water
Partial result of step 2:

I take a moment to see pictures of actual vehicles, comparing with my model:

Hmmm, nop, the model looks very different. Let's continue rubbing ;B;

Result of step 2:

Well, as you can see, most of the white paint has gone. Let's repeat the painting process

Step 3: haispray - Tamiya XF-2 - rubbing
Result:

It still doesn't looks as my reference pictures, so...let me see what I will do tonight

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby sergio laurenzano » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:01 pm

nice paint work dario, will you install a 40 cm track ?
sdl
Sergio Laurenzano
Neuquen-Patagonia Argentina
sergio laurenzano

Postby Dario Risso » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Well, here I am again, with some modifications in the layout of the scene. I intended to add a wood antitank defense and a bomb/artillery crater. Interestingly, the projectile that made this crater did not blow up the tank defenses :shock: (I don't know, perhaps the defenses was built after the bombing)

I found this picture of the log anti-tank defenses:

And this is the new layout (still remains to place a lot of small debris)

Suggestions are wellcomed

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Dario I like it. Good job with the 109 wing.
One question : why only two return rollers on each side of the StuIG ?
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Dario Risso » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Mercí, Laurent. 2 of the return rollers was misglued by the previous owner of the model, so I glued again.
The Bf 109 wing is almost finished; I will add some wires and maybe more paint chipping.
The building too, almost finished; the oils was still wet and maybe it need some more black smoke effect
The terrain...what a headache wallbash I din't know it would be a paved road or a dirt road, whether it would have sidewalks or not...and the crater...it's too shallow to be a bomb crater...may be it's a grenade crater...or just...a crater?? :D
I will add a lot of debris, some wood, rusted metal rods, cans, papers...and more stuff mixed with the debris.
May be I will add a half of a 200 l fuel drum used by soldiers to make fire and get some heat.

Well, if you guys are still awake after the boring text...here are some pics :D

Ideas, suggestions, comments...all are wellcomed!
Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Cool !
I hope my Stuh which is supposed to be whitewashed too will look as good as yours. My last attempt at painting such a white camo was not exactly a success. LOL.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Next

Return to Panzerkampfwagen III and variants