[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Dagon Panzer III E (# 9040)

Dagon Panzer III E (# 9040)

Dagon Panzer III E (# 9040)

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:16 am

Hi guys. Long time no see.
I can't remember when I finished a model for the last time ... probably a year ago !
This time I decided to build a pz III E from Pz Rgt 31 as seen in Greece in 41.
These tanks were customized a bit as they added a crate on the left fender and moved the jack and extinguisher to other places. They also added a NOTEK light on the glacis.
My first intention was to build this kit directly from the box but beeing only a poor sinner I just had to bring it to a regular Ausf E standard.
Yet as I was out of town on holidays I had to stick to plasticard and sprue or even remnants of old PE sheet but no real PE parts were involved in this kit (with maybe two exceptions but still it was PE left overs from previous projects).
In fact I see this kit as a rather good kit (even if a bit old) with one major flaw. Some parts such as the fenders and the engine deck definitely belong to the Ausf G-H and StuGs kits.
It means that some scratch build was involved.

The first return roller had to be moved back a bit and four bolts on the hull side had to disappear as they're only visible on StuGs.

Four conical bolts have to be added on the turret back and the gunner's vision block armor has to be reworked as it doesn't have any vision slit in real life.

There we go :

And here's a pic showing some of the modifications required with the hull and turret :

1 - the four conical bolts.
2- get rid of the parts that belong to tropicalized tanks.
3- the Ausf E I used as reference didn't have a vision block for the radio.
4- these bolts must go as they belong to Befehlspanzers (or so I believe).

Also the front part of the fenders had to be rewored completely :

As to include some kind of "gutters" (I don't know how to call that ...)

It's at that moment I saw it'd be tricky as the fenders are wrong. The hinge is 2 mm away from where it should be (again, typical of a later version ?) so these "gutters" are not exactly as they should be but I can live with it.

The engine deck had to be completely reworked as the kit offers brackets for two towing cables, just like later versions when the E and Fs only had one with different brackets.

The rear flaps are wrong too. The Es and Fs had two round tail light so there were two round cutaways in the rear flaps instead of one rectangular and one round.

It should look like this :

The crate is scratch built.

One first try at the rear deck layout :

Not as good as I'd like it to be so I'll make a new one with another cable.
Also the commander's cupola is ugly. I am now waiting for a new one (made by Tank I believe).

The new engine deck :
The electric cables are on the way :

I finally end up with a model I think is 99% complete so I air brush a first base coat of grey just to see if everything look right. Somme tiny parts will be added later on (wing nuts for example) and of course, the NOTEK (very soon) and the new cupola as soon as it arrives in my mail box.

Of course, as usual any constructive comment is most welcome. I am so absent minded there sre certainly some mistakes ... please let me know before it's too late.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Re: Dagon Panzer III E (# 9040)

Postby Jamie Tainton » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Just a quick Hi Laurent, was wondering the last few days what was up as you haven't been on the boards for a while- glad to see you are still alive and interested in sharing your knowledge and work. Cheers ,:>
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks for asking. In fact I haven't been much into models these past months, mostly into music, plus for the last two months I was (almost) away from home without a proper inernet connection.

I posted these pics on another forum and some bloke pointed at two details. he's right. I overlooked the turret bullet splash guard that was retrifitted and I overlooked the fact that the screws on the turret roof are wrong. I should've know that as I did the modifications on my Pz III G ... to be continued.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:14 am

Today's progresses. The bullet splash guard is now on, I filled the turret screws and will drill them later on and as I received the TANK cupola this morning there it is (not glued on yet).

Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Dario Risso » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Nice details added, Laurent! It looks very well!

Take a look at the jack base, it seems to be a mould line there
Cheers
Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:07 pm

Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:03 am

So to day here we are : base coat, one first wash and some "lightening" (is it a word ?) then the decals, some mud on the lower hulls and the decals on. I'll wait until everything's dry. While waiting I'll clean up some detailms such as the wire mesh and the jack ...

Do not worry about the mud it's just very roughly applied at the moment.

How'd you guys paint the towing cable ?
Black ?
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Dario Risso » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Man, I Iike the red devil a lot! :twisted: :twisted:

I paint tow cables a dark red-brown color, then I apply oil washes in a very dark gray; or sometimes I invert the process: I paint it very dark gray and then apply red brown oil washes; finally, I rub a grafite pencil and then rub with my fingers and/or a cotton swab

Darío
Dario Risso

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks dario. After seeing so many new techniques on the webb, some of them contradictory, I do not know how to properly do some basucs ... LOL.
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:16 am

Hi guys.
Still working on it. I won't stop until it's done (who said "for a change " ? :) ).
I still have to paint the various tools, cables and work on the tracks and wheels ...

Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- Pz IV H. (98%)
Laurent Moitrot

Next

Return to Panzerkampfwagen III and variants