[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Dragon StuG III Ausf. A

Dragon StuG III Ausf. A

Dragon StuG III Ausf. A

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:32 pm

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Re: Dragon StuG III Ausf. A

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:40 pm

The casting is really quite a basic exercise mostly- and you might say nice things about my effort - but - I screwed up. The drain nuts are in the wrong place- I should have looked at the Panzer Tracts drawings and not the MK instructions. They need to be moved forward one position. So I have used a SSRB to cut the nuts off and repositioned them, and will now make a new mold for future FD covers. I will just use one were I have moved the resin bolts for one of the sides to keep moving forward. I also wanted to make another mold of the return roller mount, and I also made one of the suspension bumper things.

I could use my mold of the return roller mounts to make six replacements but a fellow modeller out east was kind enough to full fill an earlier request for some copies of his mold prior to me having access to some RTV. Thanks Gary!

I glued the suspension arms in place as well as the return roller mounts, which were positioned as per the PT drawing.

[QUOTE=Evan August;63444]Nice progress, but what's a SSRB? Looks like you may have some clean up to do yet in front of the first return roller mounting...[/QUOTE]

The molds worked out okay but I should have put some air release lines made with some small plastic rod attached to the bottom of the dampers as I get air bubbles when I just pour the casting resin in. I could do it over but I may just inject the resin with a need and syringe.
The FD ones are better but I again missed the mark- I need to redo a set again but this time one for the left and one for the right, these last two only ended up being good for one side- live and learn.

I took rushed picture, (and thus out of focus) to show Evan that the "clean up" is only a visual ghost in the plastic of the return roller mount that I removed. The surface is smooth, I assure you.

A SSRB... Single Sided Razor Blade.

here is how the driver's side is looking.

Here is the Friulmodel drive wheels all glued up and assembled. I used 5 minute epoxy to stick them together.

The right side with the return rollers and other suspension parts added.
The drive wheels are test fitted and all is well.

Using some de-canted ZINC CHROMATE PRIMER GREEN metal spray paint I primed the white metal drive wheels.

As I want to get the lower suspension done before moving on to the upper areas I sprayed the lower hull and suspension parts on the sides and bottom, using Extracolor Schwartzgrau for the sides and red primer for the underside. No primer was used, as I will be giving these area another coat, this this first thinnish coat is the primer.

the other side sprayed as well.

[QUOTE=Mark S. Pryor;63816]Dear James,

Your attention to detail and casting is impressive.:thumb:
I have a question concerning;

why de-cant the primer and not just use it straight from the can?
Mark[/QUOTE]

Hi Mark, the reason is control. I only want to apply a small amount of paint the surface of these wheels. By decanting a small amount into my airbrush cup, (like a tablespoon... if that), I can control the volume and thickness of the coat of paint far better with the airbrush than with a spray can. And this is a crucial requirement because I wish to preserve as much of surface detail such as the bolt heads for example.

So more progress to report,
time to work on the armour plate along the upper back that I cut off the kit part. First thing I did was to put the partitions that goes into the opening at the back of the lower hull, air intake if I'm not mistaken, I'll have to check my references..
This will help me figure out what to do next.

I also glued the top hull part into place as well so it will help line things up.

Using the drawing from the Panzertracts book on Panzer III's as a guide I measured and cut the proper angle onto the piece of Evergreen sheet. and glued it in place.

[QUOTE=Stuke Sowle;63848]Well at first I wanted to get out my ol' StuG and work on it, but not I just want to trash it. Your's is umpteen times better looking already![/QUOTE]

Stuke- haven't heard from you for awhile good to see you posting again.
I think you should get out the ol Stug and get 'er done.:thumb: I'm not sure how mine could be all that great as I really haven't done much yet!:rolleyes:

So another little update. First thing is I painted the road wheels with the Extracolor gray.
Also I painted the sprocket wheel centres with a primer red.

I also decided to try ageing the wheels down a little with some damage and nicks.

here the tires have been painted with my usual Polly Scale Grimy Black. Just a test fit.
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Also came across that Verlinden gun kit- and well, not sure if I couldn't just scratch something better for the sighting scope. Besides maybe one day I will feel inspired enough to build this old Shelf Queen.

[QUOTE=armor fiend;67520]Stug! Stug! Stug!

How did you make the conical bolts?[/QUOTE]

Those are from the Model Kasten set.;)

Well I was looking at the resin replacement hatches the other day and I really did not like the way they looked. I really hate resin really- it is very unreliable, it warps and shinks etc. I would rather work with regular plastic anyday.
I have had on order two sprues from the Tamiya Stug B kit coming from Rainbow Ten and they arrived yesterday. I took a closer look at the resin doors and saw some odd bubbling around one sides door hinges. What it was was some sort of chemical interaction that was causing the plastic to disintegrate!
Here is a pic after I dug out the damage, with was like soft gooey plastic.

A dry fit with the far better plastic replacements. I'll use the rest of the sprues on the next Stug upgrade.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Nolan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:51 am

Dang that does look good.
So ever do anything without PE and added parts?
NO OOB for you. :lol:
Jeff Nolan

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 am

James, highly informative as usual.
One question : what was wrong with the original hatches on the glacis ?
Did they came out with Pz III like hinges instead of StuGs?
Or did you change thel just to improve the look of the model ?
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm