[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - Sd.Kfz.124 "Wespe" - Tamiya 1/35

Sd.Kfz.124 "Wespe" - Tamiya 1/35

Sd.Kfz.124 "Wespe" - Tamiya 1/35

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Hey Guys,
seems like my first Blog here :).
To be honest, the Blog can also be seen on PA, but I still hope you like it.

The Tamiya Wespe is one of my favorite kits of all times and after seeing some pics of "Scharnhorst", I decided to give it a go.

I used:
Sd.Kfz. 124 "Wespe" - Tamiya
PE - Eduard with ABER-tool clamps
Driver´s compartment - CMK,
Boschlight and Jerry can - Tasca
Tracks - Friul,
Barrel - ABER
Wheels - Dragon (from their Pz.II),
Some parts from the spares box (the grey ones on the pics) - Dragon,
Ammunition and boxes - AFV,
Wing nuts - Bronco,
some scratched parts from Plasticprofiles, wire and brass tubes,
Figure - Alpine with a head from another Alpine figure
I will use Echelon´s Set for a Wespe in Normandy (Division "Das Reich")

In the driver´s compartment, there are still some parts missing and some parts just sitting there for the pics. I will install them properly when I finished the painting in there.

And two full-sized pics:

Markus Lack

Re: Sd.Kfz.124 "Wespe" - Tamiya 1/35

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:26 pm

I made and attached the holders for the spare wheels (which will be changed for some copys of the DML wheels), add some rivets on the round inspection hatch at the front and remade the pocket on the figure as well as removing of the rivets on the flaps for the driver (not on the pics).
I hope you like it.
A big thank you goes to James, Niels Henkemans, Taesung and all the other guys who supported me with pics, links and everything. Thanks a million guys!!!
All that is left are the wheels, the tie-downs (on which I will work on when the side armor is fixed, otherwise I will most definitely break them during handling) and most important TIME to finally paint this kit. I really can´t wait!!!

Markus Lack

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:27 pm

I applied the first paint on it.

Basecoat:
Tamiya Nato Black

Interior color:
Mixture from Tamiya Glossy White with Buff

Grey parts:
Gunze German Grey

Transmission:
Mixture from Tamiya Olive Green and Flat Green.

I have to be honest, I don´t know if the colors are correct. I used what I thought COULD be correct as all the clear pics I have show the Munster/Koblenz vehicle which was repainted.

There are still some parts missing, which I will attach once the interior is fully weathered and ready to be closed.
Markus Lack

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:28 pm

I applied some filters, made from Humbrol, Oils and Vallejos in the interior. Today I applied the chips and the Migments. All in all great fun and I´m pretty pleased with it.
The sidecap was sculpted from Magic Sculpt, the Map comes from somewhere in my stash.
Archer provided the placards and the effects on the sidecap.
Now all that´s left is to glue all the missing parts in, then I can finally close it.
I hope you like it!
The pics are linked in full resolution on the end.

Even though there are some bubbles on the parts, as most of them won´t be seen, I don´t care about them :D.
Markus Lack

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:29 pm

I sprayed the fighting compartment (the sidewalls are loose) in Dark Yellow and painted all the details in there.
After that I went on with washes and filters.
First:
Hu - Humbrol
MM - Modelmaster
VA - Vallejo Acrylics
Oil - self explaining I guess :D.

For the wash I mixed:
Matt Black Hu - 2 parts
Matt Red Leather Hu - 1 part

For the filters I used until now:
Dark Earth Hu
Field Drab MM
Olive Drab MM
Vandyckbrown Oil
English Uniform VA

After those dried, I used the following Tamiya Acrylics for some streaks (sprayed with my Airbrush):
Smoke,
Flesh,
Flat Earth, mixed with Nato Black (1/1).

I glued in what was still missing.
As you might see, on the left wall some more putty was required.
There are no pigments yet as I need to wash the kit for painting the outside.
Markus Lack

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 pm

For the basecoat I used
Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow,
which was later lightened with:
Tamiya X-2 White, mit ein paar Tropfen Tamiya XF-15 Flat Flesh

I thinned the Tamiya Acrylics with Gunze´s Mr. Color Thinner as my Tamiya Laquer Thinner is empty and that stuff is hard to get in Germany. Gunze´s thinner worked very well, so no need for Laquer thinner.

The camo was sprayed with the following colors
Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green,
Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow,
Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green,
and X-22 Clear.
I was trying to copy the pics of the real deal but this didn´t turn out too good, so I just tried my best.
Later the color for the camo were lightened with Tamiya XF-15 Flat Flesh and misted on.

Later I sprayed some filters and streaks
Mischung von Tamiya X-9 Brown und Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black,
Tamiya XF-15 Flat Flesh,
Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth,
in order to liven up the kit and blend the camo in. I guess it´s a bit unconventional, but it works for me :).

Later some spots received some lines with Tamiya X-19 Smoke and the whole build a coat of Tamiya Clear to prepare it for the Decals.

Markus Lack

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Alright, I applied the Decals from Echelon´s Set D356009 "Das Reich Wespe in Normandie".
The Decals are very nicely done, with not to much carrier film visible and extremly thin. I didn´t need any softer to apply them, just some water with vinegar and dish soap.

After those dried, I painted some details, like for example the tools, and gave the kit another coat of Tamiya Clear to protect the Decals for the weathering.
The ranging poles, which were made from brasstube, were painted white, then masked every 5mm (don´t know if this is correct) and sprayed red. Now everything is ready for the fun part (and the one I fear the most), the weathering.

Markus Lack

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Alright, I applied the Decals from Echelon´s Set D356009 "Das Reich Wespe in Normandie".
The Decals are very nicely done, with not to much carrier film visible and extremly thin. I didn´t need any softer to apply them, just some water with vinegar and dish soap.

After those dried, I painted some details, like for example the tools, and gave the kit another coat of Tamiya Clear to protect the Decals for the weathering.
The ranging poles, which were made from brasstube, were painted white, then masked every 5mm (don´t know if this is correct) and sprayed red. Now everything is ready for the fun part (and the one I fear the most), the weathering.

Markus Lack

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Alright, I worked a bit on the Wespe over the weekend and applied some Enamel-filters (the same I used in the fighting compartment) and inbetween some Chips (some more might follow and some might be blended in more during the process). As you might see, on the front, left side there´s a puddle from the filters, which has been removed since taking the pics though.

I think I will glue all the missing pieces, like the Ammo, in place now to help me blend them in during the next few filters.
Markus Lack

Postby Markus Lack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:33 pm

On the outside, I treated the whole model with more filters for which I used the same colous I already used on the inside, just more of them in more layers.
Furthermore I treated the running gear with different pigments. A tipp, instead of buying MIGs Pigment fixer (I know, I´m cheap :D), I used plain water, mixed with dish soap and white glue. It works amazingly good.
There´s still some work left on the tracks in form of some Metall colors, as well as some more pigments on the rest of the kit.
I´m not very pleased with the pigments on the lower hull, but I think the rollers turned out pretty good, at least in my eyes ;).
If this weekend leaves me with some time, I will work on the figure. We will see :).
To be honest, I´m not too pleased with the finish at the moment. It turned out a bit more dark than I would have liked. Maybe I will apply some more filters to lighten it up a bit more.

Markus Lack

Next

Return to Panzerkampfwagen II and variants