[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4294: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4296: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4297: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4298: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Armour Workshop • View topic - 7.5cm Pak 40/2 auf Fahrgestell Pz.Kpfw.II "Marder II" ~ DML

7.5cm Pak 40/2 auf Fahrgestell Pz.Kpfw.II "Marder II" ~ DML

Re: 7.5cm Pak 40/2 auf Fahrgestell Pz.Kpfw.II "Marder II" ~

Postby Jamie Tainton » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Okay haven't reported on this one in a timely way but I'll try and catch up now. I have it in a place where I am starting to add the dirt and mud to the lower aspects after going through some tempestuous times with the washes and filters.
The Clear Tamiya laquer coat was a bust, I almost lost it! This has been a troubled build from the start but I'm not giving up! Not now!
- it did not repel the oil based dark wash. It was reactivated. This was okay though as the thickness of the coat kinda bothered me anyways. I was able to remove it without damaging the laquer paint under the clear- which is great!
I then gave the model Humbrol Satin clear after the dark wash was wiped back and had had some time to gas off. Then I was able to do several filters. I made my own, I have a set of MIG filters but I have not had success with these and prefer to mix up my own fresh from now on. I then sprayed some Humbrol matt and added another light filter. I have yet to take pics with the Humbrol 29 earth sprayed on the bottom.The wheels are also in the mix getting some washes and filters.

"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:30 pm

I think I may have found the source for DML's camouflage pattern in a book,

The tactical number in this photo looks like 119- Dragon has 114- very similar- is it a mistake?

A similar pattern?

Adding the first layer of sprayed mud (Humbrol 29)

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:21 pm

James, I see "114" on the pic you posted, not "119" ... so maybe Dragon has it right ?
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:37 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Laurent Moitrot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:59 pm

Yes ... you're right yet the upper part of the "9" looks more like that of a "4". looks to me as a "4" turned into a "9" ?
Cheers.
Laurent.

My current projects :
- StuG III G "late" (90%)
- StuG III g "Early" (99%)
- Pz IV H. (98%)
- Befehlspanther G "R01" (95%)
- Sherman M4A1 "Early" (99%)
Laurent Moitrot

Postby Jamie Tainton » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Sorry haven't had the time or inspiration to post the latest on this one. Basically I have painted a mud mixture onto the hull. I have purposely left all the wheels off so as to full access to get the best look and appearance to the mud and dirt. Also it gives me the opportunity to spray around d the perimeter of the wheels and add some mud in a controlled manner. There is a rim also that needs some painting (Humbrol steel) which adds some authenticity to the look of the wheels, This is where the tracks would rub up against the Pz II's wheels. This is way harder to take care of if the wheels were attached to the model. I do have to say- this is the hardest part of the process as I just wanna git them wheels on and the track on and see what it all looks like. But the devil is in the details and you just can't rush things.

To start off I have added some raw umber pigment with some plaster and white glue. Also some sand, dirt and crushed dead leaves were mixed in and then this slurry was brushed onto the lower aspects of the hull. It was applied with medium amounts It was also introduced onto the wheels to help them tie in. In the first two pics you can see the wet state of the first coat and the following ones are of the two coats dry.

I did it again only adding some light pigments to give some contrast -this second coat was more watery.

The edges of the "mud" are too distinct- some blending and tweaking will be forthcoming, don't you worry. I have painted the muffler a rust colour and the protective metal PE piece was treated as rusted out and bent all up as well. This was glued in place.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby sergio laurenzano » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:23 am

your marder are very nice, hard work with the paints and repaints. thumb5
your masking work was perfect!!! could you tell me what masking tape was used by you ?
regards
sdl
Sergio Laurenzano
Neuquen-Patagonia Argentina
sergio laurenzano

Postby Christopher Wright » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Please forgive my ignorance but what is the "hair spray white wash" method? I have not come across that yet in my reading. The Marder is looking quite good!
Christopher Wright

Postby Jamie Tainton » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Jamie Tainton » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:25 pm

So this too is getting along, the wheels and hull have now been joined after the adding of mud and after a dark raw umber wash. The wheels also had the rim painted in metal and buffed out.

the front armour is augmented with some spare links. This was painted with Panzer Grey and then sprayed with some of my two part rust paint. I only did it slightly so as to not overdo it, don't want any texture really. There is more weathering to come.

Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Panzerkampfwagen II and variants