Dragon Sd.Kfz.265.

Dragon Sd.Kfz.265.

Postby Steve Wheeler » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:44 am

This project stalled in summer 2010, for family health reasons; but I have finally found the motivation to restart.

The build started out conventionally enough, but I thought I'd try a bit of interior detail..... at first just the crew compartment. Panzer Tracts has a couple of interior shots, and some Pz1 sectional drawings, and I obtained a very useful set of interior photos from Bovington Tank Museum.

Then I came across the 'Great Wall' engine kits....and the Maybach HL42 had enough useable parts to begin a detailed engine compartment as well. Again, Panzer Tracts was very useful.

All the research, adapting kit parts, and serious scratch-building makes progress rather slow, but very satisfying.

The photos show where I've got to so far.... I'll post more as things start to happen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Wheeler

Re: Dragon Sd.Kfz.265.

Postby Tim Coulson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Nice progress and scratch building Steve. thumb6

Glad you've got the image posting sorted at last! :)

Tim
Tim Coulson

Postby Jamie Tainton » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Wow that looks pretty great Steve! Thanks for the share? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with the posting of photos or any other tips for the place. thumb5
"Don't believe everything you think"
Jamie Tainton
Site Admin

Postby Dario Risso » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Nice work, Steve! Love the signal flags!
DarĂ­o
Dario Risso

Postby Steve Wheeler » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:27 am

Thanks everyone.

I found a few more pictures.... the engine bay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Wheeler

Postby Tim Coulson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 am

Great work and scratch building on the engine bay. thumb6
Tim Coulson

Postby Steve Wheeler » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Here's the latest progress.

It's the rack for the FU2 receiver and transformer, based on photos from Bovington and Panzer Tracts.

The little triangular mounting blocks came from an Aber P.E. kit. The rest is nickelsilver strip, soldered using a Resistance Soldering Unit and solder cream. It was very fiddly, and needed some ingenuity devising holding jigs... and I used different melting point solders to avoid everything falling apart.

The photo shows how little spare space there is, so I plan to add locating strips to assist with the job of super-gluing it in place once other work and painting is completed.

The other radio set, at the rear of the compartment has a much simpler box arrangement.... thank goodness!
Steve Wheeler

Postby Dennis McQuillen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:53 am

Steve,

I really like the idea of printing pics of the radios and using those. I have never convincingly painted a radio.

When taking a close up picture (or any picture of a model for that matter), I always take the pic from a few feet away and use editing software to crop the image. I use Photoscape at the moment. If you do that the whole picture will be in focus and you will get better quality.

The engine bay looks great!

Dennis
Dennis McQuillen

Postby Roy Schlicht » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:47 am

Nice, can not ever have enough Panzer I based vehicles around. Look forward to seeing this one finished.

Roy
To become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid.
Roy Schlicht

Return to Panzerkampfwagen I and variants